Neil Diamond, Andrew Bailey offer a few musical surprises at Fenway
|04.21.13 at 12:20 am ET|
The 72-year-old hit-maker decided that he and his wife, Katie, heard the news that the final suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings had been apprehended and decided to make a trip across the country to pay his respects.
Diamond boarded a plane in Los Angeles early Saturday morning headed for Boston, where the couple landed close to noontime. Once off the plane, the singer called the Fenway Park switchboard with the intention of passing along one, simple request.
He wanted to sing his song, ‘Sweet Caroline,’ in person, at Fenway, during the eighth inning. A recording wouldn’t do on this day, one which was largely devoted to recovering from the bombings.
The answer, of course, was ‘absolutely,’ leading Diamond to his performance in right field. (To listen to the moment, click here.)
One half inning, there came another surprise musical interlude.
As Red Sox closer Andrew Bailey ran in from the bullpen, the Fenway speakers started blasting ‘Shipping Up To Boston,’ which, of course, was the well-known intro music of former Red Sox game-ender Jonathan Papelbon.
Normally, such an act would be relief pitching sacrilege. But not in this case. Papelbon would surely understand.
‘That was something [Jarrod Saltalamacchia] and I discussed this morning,’ Bailey said. ‘I said, ‘Let’s do it.’ That ninth inning was a part of the game the fans really enjoyed for a long time. It was just something we decided to do and the way they erupted was unbelievable. It was just a good day.’
The reliever (who wasn’t sure if he would continue with the intro music) added, ‘I don’t know what it was for or anything, but for the fans for that minute it was a little extra ‘¦. It was definitely for the city. It was a staple for so many years here, I just wanted to do it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller