John Lackey strikes out five in rehab outing
|04.22.13 at 7:14 pm ET|
Red Sox right-hander John Lackey, in a rehab outing with Double-A Portland, tossed 3 2/3 scoreless innings in which he allowed three hits (all on ground ball singles through the infield) while striking out five and walking two.
He threw 67 pitches, 45 strikes (67 percent), and according to a talent evaluator at the game, he was attacking the strike zone in sufficiently aggressive fashion that he started getting borderline calls with his fastball, which registered at 88-91 mph. That played into the fact that all five of his punchouts were on called third strikes. Lackey got three swings and misses on the night. Beyond the five punchouts, he recorded five of his six other outs via groundball.
Manager John Farrell said on Sunday that, if all went well with Lackey’s rehab outing on Monday, he might be in line to make his next appearance in the big leagues. He is trying to return for his second start of the year after leaving his April 6 outing due to a strained right biceps that cut short what had been a very promising performance that saw Lackey — in his first big league start since undergoing Tommy John surgery after the 2011 season — punch out eight batters in 4 1/3 frames.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt