John Lackey strikes out five in rehab outing
|04.22.13 at 7:14 pm ET|
Red Sox right-hander John Lackey, in a rehab outing with Double-A Portland, tossed 3 2/3 scoreless innings in which he allowed three hits (all on ground ball singles through the infield) while striking out five and walking two.
He threw 67 pitches, 45 strikes (67 percent), and according to a talent evaluator at the game, he was attacking the strike zone in sufficiently aggressive fashion that he started getting borderline calls with his fastball, which registered at 88-91 mph. That played into the fact that all five of his punchouts were on called third strikes. Lackey got three swings and misses on the night. Beyond the five punchouts, he recorded five of his six other outs via groundball.
Manager John Farrell said on Sunday that, if all went well with Lackey’s rehab outing on Monday, he might be in line to make his next appearance in the big leagues. He is trying to return for his second start of the year after leaving his April 6 outing due to a strained right biceps that cut short what had been a very promising performance that saw Lackey — in his first big league start since undergoing Tommy John surgery after the 2011 season — punch out eight batters in 4 1/3 frames.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine