John Lackey strikes out five in rehab outing
|04.22.13 at 7:14 pm ET|
Red Sox right-hander John Lackey, in a rehab outing with Double-A Portland, tossed 3 2/3 scoreless innings in which he allowed three hits (all on ground ball singles through the infield) while striking out five and walking two.
He threw 67 pitches, 45 strikes (67 percent), and according to a talent evaluator at the game, he was attacking the strike zone in sufficiently aggressive fashion that he started getting borderline calls with his fastball, which registered at 88-91 mph. That played into the fact that all five of his punchouts were on called third strikes. Lackey got three swings and misses on the night. Beyond the five punchouts, he recorded five of his six other outs via groundball.
Manager John Farrell said on Sunday that, if all went well with Lackey’s rehab outing on Monday, he might be in line to make his next appearance in the big leagues. He is trying to return for his second start of the year after leaving his April 6 outing due to a strained right biceps that cut short what had been a very promising performance that saw Lackey — in his first big league start since undergoing Tommy John surgery after the 2011 season — punch out eight batters in 4 1/3 frames.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles