David Ortiz gets standing ovation at restaurant after (expletive) speech
|04.23.13 at 5:37 am ET|
D’Angelo Ortiz had heard his father swear before. That usually comes with growing up in a major league clubhouse.
But to watch his dad, David Ortiz, drop an expletive in front of what would ultimately be the entire world was a new experience for the 8-year-old.
‘He was looking around like, ‘Oops!’ ‘ David Ortiz said of his son’s reaction to the designated hitter’s well-publicized speech during the Saturday pregame ceremonies remembering the Boston Marathon bombing tragedy.
Ortiz said Monday that he actually thought for a moment that his son, nor anybody else, heard the much-talked-about expletive.
‘The microphone kind of came out a second later delay, so I thought I said it and nobody heard me,’ he said. ‘But then I saw everybody screaming and going crazy and I was like, ‘OK, they got it.’ ‘
Since uttering the word, Ortiz has been national news, with the reaction being pretty much one-sided, as the DH learned later Saturday night.
‘I walked into a restaurant and I got a standing ovation,’ he said. ‘I’m telling you, people stopped eating dinner and were like, ‘Yeah!’ My Twitter account went up like 50,000 people. It had happened to me once when we won the World Series the first time. But this was different. This was like I was a politician and I just won the whole thing.’
And as for any parents or members of the community who might have been offended by Ortiz’ choice of the F-word, he said he hasn’t gotten any sort of pushback.
‘I haven’t heard anything negative from nobody,’ Ortiz said. ‘Nobody. Not one person.
‘We needed that. You’re not going to see people do that too often. I talked to people before and nobody heard me cursing. We were out of consciousness at the time. Everybody’s mind was just focusing on doing something about what happened. That was just the beginning of getting people their confidence back. This is your [expletive] city!’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen