David Ortiz gets standing ovation at restaurant after (expletive) speech
|04.23.13 at 5:37 am ET|
D’Angelo Ortiz had heard his father swear before. That usually comes with growing up in a major league clubhouse.
But to watch his dad, David Ortiz, drop an expletive in front of what would ultimately be the entire world was a new experience for the 8-year-old.
‘He was looking around like, ‘Oops!’ ‘ David Ortiz said of his son’s reaction to the designated hitter’s well-publicized speech during the Saturday pregame ceremonies remembering the Boston Marathon bombing tragedy.
Ortiz said Monday that he actually thought for a moment that his son, nor anybody else, heard the much-talked-about expletive.
‘The microphone kind of came out a second later delay, so I thought I said it and nobody heard me,’ he said. ‘But then I saw everybody screaming and going crazy and I was like, ‘OK, they got it.’ ‘
Since uttering the word, Ortiz has been national news, with the reaction being pretty much one-sided, as the DH learned later Saturday night.
‘I walked into a restaurant and I got a standing ovation,’ he said. ‘I’m telling you, people stopped eating dinner and were like, ‘Yeah!’ My Twitter account went up like 50,000 people. It had happened to me once when we won the World Series the first time. But this was different. This was like I was a politician and I just won the whole thing.’
And as for any parents or members of the community who might have been offended by Ortiz’ choice of the F-word, he said he hasn’t gotten any sort of pushback.
‘I haven’t heard anything negative from nobody,’ Ortiz said. ‘Nobody. Not one person.
‘We needed that. You’re not going to see people do that too often. I talked to people before and nobody heard me cursing. We were out of consciousness at the time. Everybody’s mind was just focusing on doing something about what happened. That was just the beginning of getting people their confidence back. This is your [expletive] city!’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster