Tuesday’s Red Sox-A’s matchups: Alfredo Aceves vs. Bartolo Colon
|04.23.13 at 12:01 pm ET|
Aceves enters Tuesday night’s start at 1-0 with a 6.28 ERA. He has pitched 14 1/3 innings in four games, allowing 18 hits and eight walks while striking out 11. The long ball has been an issue for the righty, as he has surrendered five home runs, including two in his last start against Cleveland. Right-handed batters are hitting .429 off him this season, but he has held lefties to a .237 clip.
In Aceves’ start on Wednesday vs. Cleveland, he started with five shutout innings, allowing the Sox to jump out ahead 5-0. He ran into some trouble in the sixth, allowing back-to-back home runs to Nick Swisher and Jason Giambi, but still picked up the victory.
“In the starting role, he’s done an excellent job of getting through those five innings,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said. “Maybe the last time out, because we needed some innings, we probably pushed him an inning too long. But still, his preparation, his work in between starts, has been very good. He’s stepped in and done a very good job.”
Colon, a 16-year veteran who pitched for the Sox in 2008, will get the ball for the 12-8 A’s. He enters his fourth start of the year at 2-0, posting a 3.32 ERA. He has allowed 20 hits and struck out 10 in 19 innings, without allowing a free pass.
Colon went 10-9 with a 3.43 ERA in his first season in Oakland in 2012, but he was suspended 50 games for testing positive for synthetic testosterone in late August. In 26 career appearances vs. the Red Sox, Colon is 8-11 with a 3.98 ERA, including a 6-6 record at Fenway Park.
Current A’s hitters have only combined for 23 career plate appearances vs. Aceves, and Brandon Moss has one home run in two career at-bats against the right hander. David Ortiz has struggled mightily in his career vs. Colon, going 6-for-46 and striking out 15 times, though he does have a home run.
A’s vs. Aceves (RHP)
John Jaso (6 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/.333 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Coco Crisp (5): .333/.400/.667, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Josh Reddick (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk
Brandon Moss (2): 1.000/1.000/2.500, 1 home run, 3 RBI
Derek Norris (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI
Jed Lowrie has one walk in two plate appearances vs. Aceves. Seth Smith has struck out twice in two plate appearances vs. Aceves. Josh Donaldson, Nate Freiman, Andy Parrino, Eric Sogard, Michael Taylor and Chris Young have never faced Aceves.
Red Sox vs. Colon (RHP)
David Ortiz (50 plate appearances): .130/.200/.217, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 double, 4 walks, 15 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (14): .385/.429/1.000, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 1 triple, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (12): .250/.250/.583, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (11): .100/.182/.100, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (8): .286/.375/.429, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (8): .375/.375/.375, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Shane Victorino (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller