Sources: Red Sox option Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A
|04.24.13 at 8:32 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced following Wednesday’s 6-5 victory over the A’s that they have optioned right-hander Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket. It is not yet known whom the Sox will call up to take his place on the roster. The decision comes one day after Aceves had an abysmal start in which he yielded eight runs in 3 1/3 innings, with his ERA for the year ballooning to 8.66.
‘The bottom line is just that: The bottom line. You’ve got to perform to continue to get opportunities,’ manager John Farrell said prior to Wednesday’s game, before the Sox announced the roster move. ‘We’re undecided as far as Sunday goes as far as the starter. That will become more clear tomorrow after Lackey’s bullpen. I’ve had a chance to meet with Alfredo [on Wednesday] just to discuss [Tuesday] night ‘ not so much the role going forward. But it still comes down to continuing to earn those opportunities. There’s been mixed results over the time period [since last August].’
According to an industry source, the team intends to have Aceves pitch out of the rotation in Pawtucket.
The demotion could have considerable financial implications for Aceves, who entered this year with 4 years and 1 day of major league service time; provided he stayed in the big leagues, he wouldn’t be eligible for free agency until after the 2014 campaign. However, if he’s in the minors for more than 20 days, it would delay his free agency until at least after the 2015 season.
CSNNE.com was first to report Aceves’ demotion.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi walk-off bomb keeps Drive in hunt
- Updated: Espinoza to Greenville, Allen to Lowell highlight GCL promotions
- Scouting Scratch: Javier Guerra, Michael Chavis, Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox capture second straight league title
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals