Sources: Red Sox option Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A
|04.24.13 at 8:32 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced following Wednesday’s 6-5 victory over the A’s that they have optioned right-hander Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket. It is not yet known whom the Sox will call up to take his place on the roster. The decision comes one day after Aceves had an abysmal start in which he yielded eight runs in 3 1/3 innings, with his ERA for the year ballooning to 8.66.
‘The bottom line is just that: The bottom line. You’ve got to perform to continue to get opportunities,’ manager John Farrell said prior to Wednesday’s game, before the Sox announced the roster move. ‘We’re undecided as far as Sunday goes as far as the starter. That will become more clear tomorrow after Lackey’s bullpen. I’ve had a chance to meet with Alfredo [on Wednesday] just to discuss [Tuesday] night ‘ not so much the role going forward. But it still comes down to continuing to earn those opportunities. There’s been mixed results over the time period [since last August].’
According to an industry source, the team intends to have Aceves pitch out of the rotation in Pawtucket.
The demotion could have considerable financial implications for Aceves, who entered this year with 4 years and 1 day of major league service time; provided he stayed in the big leagues, he wouldn’t be eligible for free agency until after the 2014 campaign. However, if he’s in the minors for more than 20 days, it would delay his free agency until at least after the 2015 season.
CSNNE.com was first to report Aceves’ demotion.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo