Sources: Red Sox option Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A
|04.24.13 at 8:32 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced following Wednesday’s 6-5 victory over the A’s that they have optioned right-hander Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket. It is not yet known whom the Sox will call up to take his place on the roster. The decision comes one day after Aceves had an abysmal start in which he yielded eight runs in 3 1/3 innings, with his ERA for the year ballooning to 8.66.
‘The bottom line is just that: The bottom line. You’ve got to perform to continue to get opportunities,’ manager John Farrell said prior to Wednesday’s game, before the Sox announced the roster move. ‘We’re undecided as far as Sunday goes as far as the starter. That will become more clear tomorrow after Lackey’s bullpen. I’ve had a chance to meet with Alfredo [on Wednesday] just to discuss [Tuesday] night ‘ not so much the role going forward. But it still comes down to continuing to earn those opportunities. There’s been mixed results over the time period [since last August].’
According to an industry source, the team intends to have Aceves pitch out of the rotation in Pawtucket.
The demotion could have considerable financial implications for Aceves, who entered this year with 4 years and 1 day of major league service time; provided he stayed in the big leagues, he wouldn’t be eligible for free agency until after the 2014 campaign. However, if he’s in the minors for more than 20 days, it would delay his free agency until at least after the 2015 season.
CSNNE.com was first to report Aceves’ demotion.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot