Source: Red Sox to call up Ryan Lavarnway
|04.24.13 at 9:59 pm ET|
With the Red Sox sending Alfredo Aceves down to Triple-A Pawtucket, the team will use the vacant roster opening to call up catcher Ryan Lavarnway from Triple-A, according to a major league source. In all likelihood, Lavarnway’s call-up will be brief, with the team expected to activate John Lackey off the disabled list perhaps as soon as this weekend. In the interim, Lavarnway will offer the team an extra right-handed bat — something that could be useful both given that the team will face left-hander Erik Bedard of the Astros on Thursday and the possibility that switch-hitter Shane Victorino‘s availability could be in question after he had to leave a game for the second time in five days due to back discomfort.
Lavarnway has reached base in all 11 games he’s played this season. He’s hitting .310 with a .423 OBP and .452 slugging mark, showing excellent command of the strike zone (he has seven walks and seven strikeouts) but, to date, collecting just four extra-base hits (three doubles, one homer). He’s posted strong numbers against both lefties (.308/.412/.615) and righties (.310/.479/.379) in limited action this year.
Behind the plate, he’s thrown out four of eight runners who have attempted to steal against him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort