Source: Red Sox to call up Ryan Lavarnway
|04.24.13 at 9:59 pm ET|
With the Red Sox sending Alfredo Aceves down to Triple-A Pawtucket, the team will use the vacant roster opening to call up catcher Ryan Lavarnway from Triple-A, according to a major league source. In all likelihood, Lavarnway’s call-up will be brief, with the team expected to activate John Lackey off the disabled list perhaps as soon as this weekend. In the interim, Lavarnway will offer the team an extra right-handed bat — something that could be useful both given that the team will face left-hander Erik Bedard of the Astros on Thursday and the possibility that switch-hitter Shane Victorino‘s availability could be in question after he had to leave a game for the second time in five days due to back discomfort.
Lavarnway has reached base in all 11 games he’s played this season. He’s hitting .310 with a .423 OBP and .452 slugging mark, showing excellent command of the strike zone (he has seven walks and seven strikeouts) but, to date, collecting just four extra-base hits (three doubles, one homer). He’s posted strong numbers against both lefties (.308/.412/.615) and righties (.310/.479/.379) in limited action this year.
Behind the plate, he’s thrown out four of eight runners who have attempted to steal against him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada