Source: Red Sox to call up Ryan Lavarnway
|04.24.13 at 9:59 pm ET|
With the Red Sox sending Alfredo Aceves down to Triple-A Pawtucket, the team will use the vacant roster opening to call up catcher Ryan Lavarnway from Triple-A, according to a major league source. In all likelihood, Lavarnway’s call-up will be brief, with the team expected to activate John Lackey off the disabled list perhaps as soon as this weekend. In the interim, Lavarnway will offer the team an extra right-handed bat — something that could be useful both given that the team will face left-hander Erik Bedard of the Astros on Thursday and the possibility that switch-hitter Shane Victorino‘s availability could be in question after he had to leave a game for the second time in five days due to back discomfort.
Lavarnway has reached base in all 11 games he’s played this season. He’s hitting .310 with a .423 OBP and .452 slugging mark, showing excellent command of the strike zone (he has seven walks and seven strikeouts) but, to date, collecting just four extra-base hits (three doubles, one homer). He’s posted strong numbers against both lefties (.308/.412/.615) and righties (.310/.479/.379) in limited action this year.
Behind the plate, he’s thrown out four of eight runners who have attempted to steal against him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings