Source: Red Sox to call up Ryan Lavarnway
|04.24.13 at 9:59 pm ET|
With the Red Sox sending Alfredo Aceves down to Triple-A Pawtucket, the team will use the vacant roster opening to call up catcher Ryan Lavarnway from Triple-A, according to a major league source. In all likelihood, Lavarnway’s call-up will be brief, with the team expected to activate John Lackey off the disabled list perhaps as soon as this weekend. In the interim, Lavarnway will offer the team an extra right-handed bat — something that could be useful both given that the team will face left-hander Erik Bedard of the Astros on Thursday and the possibility that switch-hitter Shane Victorino‘s availability could be in question after he had to leave a game for the second time in five days due to back discomfort.
Lavarnway has reached base in all 11 games he’s played this season. He’s hitting .310 with a .423 OBP and .452 slugging mark, showing excellent command of the strike zone (he has seven walks and seven strikeouts) but, to date, collecting just four extra-base hits (three doubles, one homer). He’s posted strong numbers against both lefties (.308/.412/.615) and righties (.310/.479/.379) in limited action this year.
Behind the plate, he’s thrown out four of eight runners who have attempted to steal against him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem