Source: Red Sox to call up Ryan Lavarnway
|04.24.13 at 9:59 pm ET|
With the Red Sox sending Alfredo Aceves down to Triple-A Pawtucket, the team will use the vacant roster opening to call up catcher Ryan Lavarnway from Triple-A, according to a major league source. In all likelihood, Lavarnway’s call-up will be brief, with the team expected to activate John Lackey off the disabled list perhaps as soon as this weekend. In the interim, Lavarnway will offer the team an extra right-handed bat — something that could be useful both given that the team will face left-hander Erik Bedard of the Astros on Thursday and the possibility that switch-hitter Shane Victorino‘s availability could be in question after he had to leave a game for the second time in five days due to back discomfort.
Lavarnway has reached base in all 11 games he’s played this season. He’s hitting .310 with a .423 OBP and .452 slugging mark, showing excellent command of the strike zone (he has seven walks and seven strikeouts) but, to date, collecting just four extra-base hits (three doubles, one homer). He’s posted strong numbers against both lefties (.308/.412/.615) and righties (.310/.479/.379) in limited action this year.
Behind the plate, he’s thrown out four of eight runners who have attempted to steal against him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox