Daniel Bard headed back to minors to make room for Joel Hanrahan
|04.28.13 at 6:15 pm ET|
Daniel Bard has been sent back to Double-A Portland in order to make room for Joel Hanrahan, who will be activated off the 15-day disabled list.
Hanrahan turned in his second rehab outing with Triple-A Pawtucket, Sunday, retiring three straight batters (pop-up, fly ball to left field, and a grounder to the mound) after initially issuing a five-pitch walk. The righty threw 17 pitches, topping out at 96 mph. He has been out of action since April 14 with a strained right hamstring.
“Physically, I felt good,” Hanrahan told the Providence Journal after his McCoy Stadium outing. “Obviously it didn’t start off right with the leadoff walk. I was a little jumpy, a little excited. I was able to step back, get things going. Overall, I felt good. That’s the main thing: My leg didn’t bother me.”
Before being put on the disabled list, Hanrahan had allowed six runs over 4 2/3 innings, having first tweaked the hamstring during his second outing of the season, in New York.
“I feel like the thing that’s been holding me back isn’t holding me back anymore,” Hanrahan said. “I feel like I can go back to the big leagues and compete.”
Bard pitched twice since his promotion to the Red Sox, turning in a scoreless inning April 25 (hit, strikeout) before Saturday’s outing in which he was pulled after throwing eight of his nine pitches for balls (2 walks).
Prior to getting the call from the Red Sox, had allowed five runs over nine innings, striking out four and walking four. In his last three outings with Portland, he didn’t allow a run while surrendering just one hit.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo