Daniel Bard headed back to minors to make room for Joel Hanrahan
|04.28.13 at 6:15 pm ET|
Daniel Bard has been sent back to Double-A Portland in order to make room for Joel Hanrahan, who will be activated off the 15-day disabled list.
Hanrahan turned in his second rehab outing with Triple-A Pawtucket, Sunday, retiring three straight batters (pop-up, fly ball to left field, and a grounder to the mound) after initially issuing a five-pitch walk. The righty threw 17 pitches, topping out at 96 mph. He has been out of action since April 14 with a strained right hamstring.
“Physically, I felt good,” Hanrahan told the Providence Journal after his McCoy Stadium outing. “Obviously it didn’t start off right with the leadoff walk. I was a little jumpy, a little excited. I was able to step back, get things going. Overall, I felt good. That’s the main thing: My leg didn’t bother me.”
Before being put on the disabled list, Hanrahan had allowed six runs over 4 2/3 innings, having first tweaked the hamstring during his second outing of the season, in New York.
“I feel like the thing that’s been holding me back isn’t holding me back anymore,” Hanrahan said. “I feel like I can go back to the big leagues and compete.”
Bard pitched twice since his promotion to the Red Sox, turning in a scoreless inning April 25 (hit, strikeout) before Saturday’s outing in which he was pulled after throwing eight of his nine pitches for balls (2 walks).
Prior to getting the call from the Red Sox, had allowed five runs over nine innings, striking out four and walking four. In his last three outings with Portland, he didn’t allow a run while surrendering just one hit.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies