Daniel Bard headed back to minors to make room for Joel Hanrahan
|04.28.13 at 6:15 pm ET|
Daniel Bard has been sent back to Double-A Portland in order to make room for Joel Hanrahan, who will be activated off the 15-day disabled list.
Hanrahan turned in his second rehab outing with Triple-A Pawtucket, Sunday, retiring three straight batters (pop-up, fly ball to left field, and a grounder to the mound) after initially issuing a five-pitch walk. The righty threw 17 pitches, topping out at 96 mph. He has been out of action since April 14 with a strained right hamstring.
“Physically, I felt good,” Hanrahan told the Providence Journal after his McCoy Stadium outing. “Obviously it didn’t start off right with the leadoff walk. I was a little jumpy, a little excited. I was able to step back, get things going. Overall, I felt good. That’s the main thing: My leg didn’t bother me.”
Before being put on the disabled list, Hanrahan had allowed six runs over 4 2/3 innings, having first tweaked the hamstring during his second outing of the season, in New York.
“I feel like the thing that’s been holding me back isn’t holding me back anymore,” Hanrahan said. “I feel like I can go back to the big leagues and compete.”
Bard pitched twice since his promotion to the Red Sox, turning in a scoreless inning April 25 (hit, strikeout) before Saturday’s outing in which he was pulled after throwing eight of his nine pitches for balls (2 walks).
Prior to getting the call from the Red Sox, had allowed five runs over nine innings, striking out four and walking four. In his last three outings with Portland, he didn’t allow a run while surrendering just one hit.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo