David Ortiz asks for privacy regarding divorce
|04.29.13 at 5:47 am ET|
Life for a professional baseball player isn’t always about batting average and home runs. This is something David Ortiz has been reminded of lately.
Amidst early-season success, Ortiz revealed Sunday he has been dealing with a personal issue: The 37-year-old and his wife of nine years, Tiffany, are filing for divorce.
It is a situation he wants the public to treat as a private matter, passing on the message that his personal life and what transpires at the ballpark should be viewed as unrelated matters.
‘I’m going to separate things,’ Ortiz told WEEI.com and MLB.com. ‘Whatever is happening to me off the field is happening, but I try not to confuse that and bring that into my job. I know how to separate things. Personal life matters, and hopefully everybody respects that.’
Along with his request for future privacy regarding the issue, Ortiz said he also hopes that the public understands all parties involved are focused on moving forward with no ill will.
The couple raised three children together — daughters Jessica and Alexandra, and son D’Angelo.
‘There are some situations in life that work out for a period of time and at some point they don’t work out anymore and you have to move on,’ said the designated hitter. ‘I’m moving on. She’s moving on. Hopefully everybody respects that.’
Since returning from his Achilles tendon/heel injuries, Ortiz has offered superior on-field production. After going 2-for-4 with two RBIs in the Red Sox‘ 6-1 win over the Astros Sunday, he is hitting .516 with two home runs, 11 RBIs, and a 1.400 OPS.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller