David Ortiz asks for privacy regarding divorce
|04.29.13 at 5:47 am ET|
Life for a professional baseball player isn’t always about batting average and home runs. This is something David Ortiz has been reminded of lately.
Amidst early-season success, Ortiz revealed Sunday he has been dealing with a personal issue: The 37-year-old and his wife of nine years, Tiffany, are filing for divorce.
It is a situation he wants the public to treat as a private matter, passing on the message that his personal life and what transpires at the ballpark should be viewed as unrelated matters.
‘I’m going to separate things,’ Ortiz told WEEI.com and MLB.com. ‘Whatever is happening to me off the field is happening, but I try not to confuse that and bring that into my job. I know how to separate things. Personal life matters, and hopefully everybody respects that.’
Along with his request for future privacy regarding the issue, Ortiz said he also hopes that the public understands all parties involved are focused on moving forward with no ill will.
The couple raised three children together — daughters Jessica and Alexandra, and son D’Angelo.
‘There are some situations in life that work out for a period of time and at some point they don’t work out anymore and you have to move on,’ said the designated hitter. ‘I’m moving on. She’s moving on. Hopefully everybody respects that.’
Since returning from his Achilles tendon/heel injuries, Ortiz has offered superior on-field production. After going 2-for-4 with two RBIs in the Red Sox‘ 6-1 win over the Astros Sunday, he is hitting .516 with two home runs, 11 RBIs, and a 1.400 OPS.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two