Curt Schilling: Most players don’t care if a teammate is gay
|04.30.13 at 4:17 pm ET|
In the wake of Jason Collins‘ announcement on Monday, former Red Sox ace Curt Schilling was asked Tuesday about the idea of playing alongside a gay teammate.
“How other people want to live their life, that’s their choice,” said Schilling while appearing with WEEI’s “Salk & Holley” Tuesday afternoon. “I played with gay players. I played against gay players. For me, the litmus test is: Can you drive in runs? Can you get an out in the eighth inning? I don’t care who you’re sleeping with, unless it’s my wife. I don’t care. And I would tell you I think most players don’t care.
“I’m glad and sad that this had to happen. I commend him for being the first guy to do it,” he added. “[But] we live in a world of unbelievable double standards. How many lesbian athletes do we know of? Many. Do we care? No. We’ve never cared. Why is a gay man so different?”
Schilling acknowledged he didn’t always feel this way, and added that baseball is occasionally more problematic.
“I would be naive — I think I would be lying, if I said there was probably a time in my career when I wouldn’t have been comfortable, where it would have been awkward,” he said. “Becoming a father, I think, changed everything for me, because the first thing that goes through my head is, That’s somebody’s son. Don’t you always do this? Go back and say, ‘What if that was my kid?’”
“I played with some guys who were gay who didn’t come out. And when I think back to those clubhouses, it was probably a wise decision that they didn’t, because the places they were and where I was, it would have been awkward.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Betts hits walk-off homer in day one of post-Lester era
- ESPNBoston: SoxProspects covering the Trade Deadline
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw