Shane Victorino making strides, Red Sox hoping to avoid DL
|04.30.13 at 11:13 am ET|
According to a major league source, the lower back issue that kept Shane Victorino out for the entire four-game series against the Astros is showing improvement. The outfielder showed up at the ballpark and played catch on Monday’s off-day, offering grounds for optimism that a stint on the disabled list will be avoidable.
As of late Tuesday morning, the Sox did not anticipate a roster move to address the team’s outfield depth, particularly given that Daniel Nava has been playing strong defense at both outfield corners and Mike Carp has been giving the team an offensive boost during his time in the lineup against right-handers (the Sox face Jays starter Brandon Morrow on Tuesday night in Toronto). If the Sox had another outfield injury that further compromised their depth, then they might have to reconsider their stance on whether or not to put Victorino on the DL if he remained unavailable, but for now, the team appears comfortable without diving into the ranks of its options in the minors.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem