Shane Victorino making strides, Red Sox hoping to avoid DL
|04.30.13 at 11:13 am ET|
According to a major league source, the lower back issue that kept Shane Victorino out for the entire four-game series against the Astros is showing improvement. The outfielder showed up at the ballpark and played catch on Monday’s off-day, offering grounds for optimism that a stint on the disabled list will be avoidable.
As of late Tuesday morning, the Sox did not anticipate a roster move to address the team’s outfield depth, particularly given that Daniel Nava has been playing strong defense at both outfield corners and Mike Carp has been giving the team an offensive boost during his time in the lineup against right-handers (the Sox face Jays starter Brandon Morrow on Tuesday night in Toronto). If the Sox had another outfield injury that further compromised their depth, then they might have to reconsider their stance on whether or not to put Victorino on the DL if he remained unavailable, but for now, the team appears comfortable without diving into the ranks of its options in the minors.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart continues to sizzle, Witte impresses for Sea Dogs
- Red Sox to recall Jackie Bradley Jr. from Pawtucket