Shane Victorino making strides, Red Sox hoping to avoid DL
|04.30.13 at 11:13 am ET|
According to a major league source, the lower back issue that kept Shane Victorino out for the entire four-game series against the Astros is showing improvement. The outfielder showed up at the ballpark and played catch on Monday’s off-day, offering grounds for optimism that a stint on the disabled list will be avoidable.
As of late Tuesday morning, the Sox did not anticipate a roster move to address the team’s outfield depth, particularly given that Daniel Nava has been playing strong defense at both outfield corners and Mike Carp has been giving the team an offensive boost during his time in the lineup against right-handers (the Sox face Jays starter Brandon Morrow on Tuesday night in Toronto). If the Sox had another outfield injury that further compromised their depth, then they might have to reconsider their stance on whether or not to put Victorino on the DL if he remained unavailable, but for now, the team appears comfortable without diving into the ranks of its options in the minors.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion