Shane Victorino making strides, Red Sox hoping to avoid DL
|04.30.13 at 11:13 am ET|
According to a major league source, the lower back issue that kept Shane Victorino out for the entire four-game series against the Astros is showing improvement. The outfielder showed up at the ballpark and played catch on Monday’s off-day, offering grounds for optimism that a stint on the disabled list will be avoidable.
As of late Tuesday morning, the Sox did not anticipate a roster move to address the team’s outfield depth, particularly given that Daniel Nava has been playing strong defense at both outfield corners and Mike Carp has been giving the team an offensive boost during his time in the lineup against right-handers (the Sox face Jays starter Brandon Morrow on Tuesday night in Toronto). If the Sox had another outfield injury that further compromised their depth, then they might have to reconsider their stance on whether or not to put Victorino on the DL if he remained unavailable, but for now, the team appears comfortable without diving into the ranks of its options in the minors.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller