John Farrell: Shane Victorino ‘making satisfactory progress’ while trying to avoid DL
|05.01.13 at 3:28 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell, on the Salk & Holley show, said that outfielder Shane Victorino is showing steady improvement as he increases baseball activities. Victorino has been working out on an elliptical and running doing indoor running, and he’s also been throwing and hitting indoors, all while showing steady physical improvement from the back spasms that forced him out of a game last Thursday.
“Right now, he’s making consistent progress,” said Farrell. “We’re hopeful he takes full batting practice on the field today. He swung the bat in the cage yesterday. He threw out to 120 feet. He’s been on the elliptical, he’s been doing some running in the weight room, so he’s making satisfactory progress.He reported today feeling even further improved, so with each day, we’re getting to the point where we’re putting more intense baseball activities into the mix and he’s responding favorably.”
Farrell made it sound likely that, without a setback, Victorino might be able to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
“Solid progress is being made right now,” said Farrell. “Coming into this series, we felt like if he wasn’t improved by tomorrow, Thursday, we felt like we might need to make a roster adjustment. But I think we’ve got today and tomorrow to really hone in on that decision.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller