John Farrell: Shane Victorino ‘making satisfactory progress’ while trying to avoid DL
|05.01.13 at 3:28 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell, on the Salk & Holley show, said that outfielder Shane Victorino is showing steady improvement as he increases baseball activities. Victorino has been working out on an elliptical and running doing indoor running, and he’s also been throwing and hitting indoors, all while showing steady physical improvement from the back spasms that forced him out of a game last Thursday.
“Right now, he’s making consistent progress,” said Farrell. “We’re hopeful he takes full batting practice on the field today. He swung the bat in the cage yesterday. He threw out to 120 feet. He’s been on the elliptical, he’s been doing some running in the weight room, so he’s making satisfactory progress.He reported today feeling even further improved, so with each day, we’re getting to the point where we’re putting more intense baseball activities into the mix and he’s responding favorably.”
Farrell made it sound likely that, without a setback, Victorino might be able to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
“Solid progress is being made right now,” said Farrell. “Coming into this series, we felt like if he wasn’t improved by tomorrow, Thursday, we felt like we might need to make a roster adjustment. But I think we’ve got today and tomorrow to really hone in on that decision.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia