Shane Victorino hoping to make return Friday in Texas
|05.01.13 at 7:22 pm ET|
TORONTO — Shane Victorino, who hasn’t played since April 24 due to inflammation in his back, remained optimistic that he would be able to avoid a disabled list stint. The outfielder swung the bat, taking soft toss while gearing up for outside batting practice before the Red Sox finished their series at Rogers Centre.
“Obviously it’s getting to the point where a decision is going to have to be made,” he said. “It’s out of my hands but it’s getting to a point it’s been six, seven days, it’s getting to that point where am I going to be ready in a couple of days or is it going to take a little longer? Like I said, I’ve progressed every day, tomorrow we’re going to add to the workload, going to take some BP and adding that kind of stuff. My goal is if everything goes accordingly I’d like to play the first game in Texas. Again, that’s how my body reacts, how my body feels but everyday it’s progressed in a positive direction, no setbacks when I get up in the morning or anything like that so I’m happy and satisfied with that.”
The Red Sox’ right fielders have combined for a .656 OPS and .275 batting average. Wednesday night, Daniel Nava became the first Red Sox right fielder to hit a home run.
Victorino is hitting .292 with a .677 OPS, having stole three bases and scored 12 runs.
“We don’t want any setbacks, we don’t want this thing to be, as we saw early, come back one day, rest it and feel good and come back in a week like I have been,” he said. “That’s the kind of thing for me what’s frustrating for me, having never had a back problem before, having this all of a sudden occur, the team is going good, the team is going well, again having to sit back and watch it happen but hey, I tip my hat to the guys, they’ve done a great job, it’s fun to watch. ‘¦ It was a great month of April, but it’s not how you strt, it’s how you finish, the team’s excited, I’m excited, it’s been fun, I’ve had a lot of pom-poms cheering for these guys but I’m going to continue to do that and like I said hopefully be back sooner than later.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela