Wednesday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Mark Buehrle
|05.01.13 at 10:05 am ET|
Both the Red Sox and Clay Buchholz had a tremendous April, better than anyone could have imagined. The right-hander is off to the best start of his career and certainly is an early Cy Young candidate. Buchholz will face off against a struggling Mark Buehrle in the middle game of the Red Sox-Blue Jays series.
Across the board, Buchholz’ numbers are terrific. He is 5-0 with a 1.19 ERA. He has gone at least seven innings in all five of his starts, and all of them have been quality starts. In 37 2/3 innings, he has given up just 25 hits, one home run and 13 walks, while punching out 39 hitters. Buchholz is coming off of a 7 2/3-inning effort against Houston in which he allowed two runs on six hits and struck out 10.
“When he’s able to start commanding the zone and things like that later in the game, that’s when you can see why he’s as good as he is,” Astros catcher Jason Castro said after that game. “He can pretty much throw any of his pitches at you at any time and never really seems to throw the same pitch twice, back-to-back, and that makes it harder to get a feel on him.”
Buchholz had three very good starts vs. the Blue Jays in 2012, going at least seven innings and allowing no more than four runs in each start.
One of Toronto’s offseason acquisitions, Buehrle will look to turn around what has been both a team and personal underperforming season. The former White Sox and Marlins starter is 1-1 with a 6.35 ERA and has given up 37 hits and six home runs in just 28 1/3 innings of work.
“Went fastball in, got in, and he hit it out,” Buehrle said. “He’s a great hitter, and I think that’s why this game is kind of frustrating at times. You make pitches and they get hits.”
Adam Lind has had good success against Buchholz, with two home runs and four RBIs while sporting a .314 batting average in 35 career at-bats. For the Sox, David Ortiz is hitting .361 with three home runs and 13 RBIs against Buehrle in 61 career at-bats.
Red Sox vs. Buehrle (LHP)
David Ortiz (65 plate appearances): .361 BA/.400 OBP/.639 SLG, 3 home runs, 13 RBI, 8 doubles, 4 walks, 7 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (23): .333/.364/.476, 3 doubles, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (16): .462/.500/.692, 2 RBI, 1 triple, 1 double, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (13): .182/.231/.182, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (12): .364/.333/.727, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (10): .400/.400/.700, 1 triple, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Will Middlebrooks (5): .400/.400/.400, 1 strikeout
David Ross (5): .400/.400/.400, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .000/.000/.000
Mike Carp, Pedro Ciriaco, Stephen Drew and Daniel Nava have never faced Buehrle.
Blue Jays vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Adam Lind (37): .314/.324/.543, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 doubles, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Jose Bautista (29): .269/.310/.385, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts
Maicer Izturis (25): .429/.520/.571, 5 RBI, 3 doubles, 4 walks, 3 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (19): .067/.263/.067, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts
Rajai Davis (17): .143/.294/.143, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Brett Lawrie (12): .100/.182/.100, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
J.P. Arencibia (11): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (9): .143/.333/.143, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Colby Rasmus (8): .167/.286/.167, 1 strikeout
Henry Blanco, Emilio Bonifacio, Mark DeRosa and Munenori Kawasaki have never faced Buchholz.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins