Friday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Derek Holland
|05.03.13 at 2:25 pm ET|
The Red Sox and Rangers open an intriguing series on Friday, one that features two of the top teams in the league in the season’s first month. The opener will pit two young left-handers in Felix Doubront and Derek Holland.
Doubront enters at 3-0 with a 4.24 ERA. In 23 1/3 innings in April, Doubront allowed 20 hits, 13 walks and one home run while racking up an impressive 29 strikeouts. The Venezuela native has picked up the victory in each of his last three starts, while punching out eight in his last two.
He is coming off of a 6 2/3-inning effort, scattering four hits, three runs and four walks, in an 8-4 win over the Astros. Three of those walks came in a shaky two-run first frame, but Doubront settled in nicely after that.
“After the first inning, I was really focused and in the strike zone,” Doubront said. “I wasn’t thinking about my mechanics at all. Just throw the ball and get quick outs to go deep in the game. I was so proud that I did that. I flipped the switch after the first inning and I got the W.”
Doubront is 0-2 with a 10.32 ERA in 11 1/3 career innings against the Rangers. In his only 2012 start against the team, Doubront was roughed up for six earned runs in five innings and picked up the loss.
Holland is 1-2 with a 3.38 ERA. He has hurled 34 2/3 innings, allowing 24 hits, nine walks and two home runs while striking out 28. In his most recent outing, Holland was strong, but no run support cost him a chance at his second win. On Saturday, the lefty gave up three earned runs on five hits in seven innings of work as the Rangers were defeated by the Twins, 7-2.
“He’s been pitching and throwing the ball well,” Rangers manager Ron Washington said. “The results aren’t there, but he’s been throwing the ball well.”
Holland has had success against the Sox in his career, going 4-1 with a 3.00 ERA. In 33 innings, he has struck out 28.
Rangers hitters have had limited experience against Doubront, but Ian Kinsler has the most success. The second baseman is 3-for-5 with a double and two RBIs vs. Doubront in his career. Dustin Pedroia has struggled a bit vs. Holland, hitting just .143, but he does have one career home run vs. him.
Red Sox vs. Holland (LHP)
Jacoby Ellsbury (14 plate appearances): .273 BA/.429 OBP/.364 SLG, 1 double, 3 walks
Dustin Pedroia (14): .143/.143/.357, 1 home run, 2 RBI, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (10): .250/.400/.375, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (8): .500/.625/1.000, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (5): .250/.400/1.000, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (5): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Pedro Ciriaco (4): .500/.500/.500
Stephen Drew (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 walk
Will Middlebrooks (3): .667/.667/1.667, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Elvis Andrus (7): .167/.286/.167, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Ian Kinsler (7): .600/.571/.800, 2 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Nelson Cruz (6): .500/.667/.750, 1 RBI, 1 double, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
A.J. Pierzynski (5): .250/.400/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Adrian Beltre (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
David Murphy (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Craig Gentry (2): .500/.500/.500
Mitch Moreland (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Lance Berkman (1): .000/.000/.000
Jeff Baker, Leury Garcia, Leonys Martin and Geovany Soto have never faced Doubront.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland