Tom Werner on D&C: ‘Winning is the best revenge’ for Terry Francona book
|05.03.13 at 9:13 am ET|
Following last year’s forgettable season, the Red Sox entered 2013 with low expectations around baseball.
“I am an optimistic guy, and we certainly thought we were going to do much better than we did last year,” Werner said. “We were amused at the preseason predictions. I think there were something like 41 ESPN analysts and they had 20 predicting the Toronto Blue Jays were going to win the division and I think 18 having the Rays win the division and zero having the Red Sox winning. So, it’s certainly been a very enjoyable month. And clearly, everybody is contributing.”
Werner credits the team’s new manager as the key.
“I think you guys know that we always want to win, and we have the resources to win. But you don’t necessarily win by signing those high-priced players,” Werner said. “It’s not that we cut our payroll this year. I just think we used it in a different way. We avoided the $150 million, five- or six-year contracts, the Carl Crawfords, and I think there’s another way to win.”
The turnaround comes after the ownership group was the recipient of some criticism in a book by former manager Terry Francona.
Said Werner: “Winning is the best revenge for that book, isn’t it?”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rick Porcello Is Worthy of Cy Young, but How Did Justin Verlander Lose?
- MLB Megastar Mookie Betts Is Rare Master of All Trades
- Edwin Encarnacion Is Ideal Red Sox Replacement for David Ortiz
- Clay Buchholz's Contract Option Picked Up by Red Sox: Latest Details,...
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid