Andrew Bailey: ‘Very frustrated’ with unexpected setback
|05.04.13 at 11:55 pm ET|
The right biceps soreness that prevented Andrew Bailey from closing on Thursday had improved by Friday to the point where the Red Sox considered him available in an emergency situation should one arise on Friday against the Rangers. That scenario didn’t present itself, so with the benefit of an extra day of rest, the Sox anticipated that Bailey would be available without restriction on Saturday night.
But that didn’t happen. Instead, after throwing long toss and what the closer described to reporters as an aggressive flat ground throwing session, he still felt some discomfort in his biceps, and so the team ruled out his participation in Saturday’s game, an eventual 5-1 loss to Texas.
‘I guess it’s not ready yet. I’m very frustrated, got a lot of different notions. Just have to wake up tomorrow and see how it goes,” Bailey told reporters. “Yesterday it was good, and we wanted to give it another day to make sure and today, it just wasn’t ready. [Manager John Farrell] and I got crossed up going out there, I was coming in and he was going out and we were all on the same thoughts, I’d be ready to go today based on how good yesterday went but it just kind of isn’t ready yet. Just frustrating.”
Given the lingering issue, which has prevented Bailey from pitching since April 28 (six days), Farrell suggested Bailey will likely be examined more thoroughly on Monday, upon the team’s return to Boston.
“It wasn’t maybe as improved as we hoped,” Farrell told reporters. “We determined he wasn’t going to be available, just to give it another day of rest. At some point we’ll have to get him looked at, most likely, first thing Monday morning.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome