Andrew Bailey: ‘Very frustrated’ with unexpected setback
|05.04.13 at 11:55 pm ET|
The right biceps soreness that prevented Andrew Bailey from closing on Thursday had improved by Friday to the point where the Red Sox considered him available in an emergency situation should one arise on Friday against the Rangers. That scenario didn’t present itself, so with the benefit of an extra day of rest, the Sox anticipated that Bailey would be available without restriction on Saturday night.
But that didn’t happen. Instead, after throwing long toss and what the closer described to reporters as an aggressive flat ground throwing session, he still felt some discomfort in his biceps, and so the team ruled out his participation in Saturday’s game, an eventual 5-1 loss to Texas.
‘I guess it’s not ready yet. I’m very frustrated, got a lot of different notions. Just have to wake up tomorrow and see how it goes,” Bailey told reporters. “Yesterday it was good, and we wanted to give it another day to make sure and today, it just wasn’t ready. [Manager John Farrell] and I got crossed up going out there, I was coming in and he was going out and we were all on the same thoughts, I’d be ready to go today based on how good yesterday went but it just kind of isn’t ready yet. Just frustrating.”
Given the lingering issue, which has prevented Bailey from pitching since April 28 (six days), Farrell suggested Bailey will likely be examined more thoroughly on Monday, upon the team’s return to Boston.
“It wasn’t maybe as improved as we hoped,” Farrell told reporters. “We determined he wasn’t going to be available, just to give it another day of rest. At some point we’ll have to get him looked at, most likely, first thing Monday morning.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.