Andrew Bailey: ‘Very frustrated’ with unexpected setback
|05.04.13 at 11:55 pm ET|
The right biceps soreness that prevented Andrew Bailey from closing on Thursday had improved by Friday to the point where the Red Sox considered him available in an emergency situation should one arise on Friday against the Rangers. That scenario didn’t present itself, so with the benefit of an extra day of rest, the Sox anticipated that Bailey would be available without restriction on Saturday night.
But that didn’t happen. Instead, after throwing long toss and what the closer described to reporters as an aggressive flat ground throwing session, he still felt some discomfort in his biceps, and so the team ruled out his participation in Saturday’s game, an eventual 5-1 loss to Texas.
‘I guess it’s not ready yet. I’m very frustrated, got a lot of different notions. Just have to wake up tomorrow and see how it goes,” Bailey told reporters. “Yesterday it was good, and we wanted to give it another day to make sure and today, it just wasn’t ready. [Manager John Farrell] and I got crossed up going out there, I was coming in and he was going out and we were all on the same thoughts, I’d be ready to go today based on how good yesterday went but it just kind of isn’t ready yet. Just frustrating.”
Given the lingering issue, which has prevented Bailey from pitching since April 28 (six days), Farrell suggested Bailey will likely be examined more thoroughly on Monday, upon the team’s return to Boston.
“It wasn’t maybe as improved as we hoped,” Farrell told reporters. “We determined he wasn’t going to be available, just to give it another day of rest. At some point we’ll have to get him looked at, most likely, first thing Monday morning.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller