Andrew Bailey: ‘Very frustrated’ with unexpected setback
|05.04.13 at 11:55 pm ET|
The right biceps soreness that prevented Andrew Bailey from closing on Thursday had improved by Friday to the point where the Red Sox considered him available in an emergency situation should one arise on Friday against the Rangers. That scenario didn’t present itself, so with the benefit of an extra day of rest, the Sox anticipated that Bailey would be available without restriction on Saturday night.
But that didn’t happen. Instead, after throwing long toss and what the closer described to reporters as an aggressive flat ground throwing session, he still felt some discomfort in his biceps, and so the team ruled out his participation in Saturday’s game, an eventual 5-1 loss to Texas.
‘I guess it’s not ready yet. I’m very frustrated, got a lot of different notions. Just have to wake up tomorrow and see how it goes,” Bailey told reporters. “Yesterday it was good, and we wanted to give it another day to make sure and today, it just wasn’t ready. [Manager John Farrell] and I got crossed up going out there, I was coming in and he was going out and we were all on the same thoughts, I’d be ready to go today based on how good yesterday went but it just kind of isn’t ready yet. Just frustrating.”
Given the lingering issue, which has prevented Bailey from pitching since April 28 (six days), Farrell suggested Bailey will likely be examined more thoroughly on Monday, upon the team’s return to Boston.
“It wasn’t maybe as improved as we hoped,” Farrell told reporters. “We determined he wasn’t going to be available, just to give it another day of rest. At some point we’ll have to get him looked at, most likely, first thing Monday morning.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?