Craig Breslow throws a perfect inning for Pawtucket
|05.04.13 at 3:26 pm ET|
For the first time in his five rehab appearances, left-hander Craig Breslow logged a perfect inning on Saturday for Triple-A Pawtucket. Breslow, working his way back from shoulder tendinitis that forced his first career trip to the disabled list, got a first-pitch groundout, a two-pitch pop-up before finishing his outing with a swing-and-miss strikeout. He threw just nine pitches, six for strikes.
In four appearances with Pawtucket, Breslow has allowed one run in 3 2/3 innings while striking out four, walking three and permitting four hits. He also made a rehab appearance with Double-A Portland in which he permitted all four batters whom he faced to reach base.
The Sox suggested that their plan with the 32-year-old was to have him get through this rehab appearance before making an evaluation of his readiness to rejoin the team in the big leagues. Breslow suggested after his May 2 appearance that he hoped to be ready for activation after his Saturday appearance.
Breslow would give the Sox a second left-handed option out of their bullpen, joining Andrew Miller. He had a 2.70 ERA with 61 strikeouts and 22 walks in 63 1/3 innings for the Diamondbacks and Red Sox last year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville