Craig Breslow throws a perfect inning for Pawtucket
|05.04.13 at 3:26 pm ET|
For the first time in his five rehab appearances, left-hander Craig Breslow logged a perfect inning on Saturday for Triple-A Pawtucket. Breslow, working his way back from shoulder tendinitis that forced his first career trip to the disabled list, got a first-pitch groundout, a two-pitch pop-up before finishing his outing with a swing-and-miss strikeout. He threw just nine pitches, six for strikes.
In four appearances with Pawtucket, Breslow has allowed one run in 3 2/3 innings while striking out four, walking three and permitting four hits. He also made a rehab appearance with Double-A Portland in which he permitted all four batters whom he faced to reach base.
The Sox suggested that their plan with the 32-year-old was to have him get through this rehab appearance before making an evaluation of his readiness to rejoin the team in the big leagues. Breslow suggested after his May 2 appearance that he hoped to be ready for activation after his Saturday appearance.
Breslow would give the Sox a second left-handed option out of their bullpen, joining Andrew Miller. He had a 2.70 ERA with 61 strikeouts and 22 walks in 63 1/3 innings for the Diamondbacks and Red Sox last year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs