Sunday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Jon Lester vs. Yu Darvish
|05.05.13 at 8:47 am ET|
After opening the year impressively, Lester’s performance fell off somewhat in his last two appearances. He walked six over 5 2/3 innings against the A’s on April 24, although he limited the damage to three runs and still picked up the win as the Sox offense helped him out.
Then, in his last start, Lester had his worst outing of the year, giving up six runs (five earned) on six hits and two walks over six innings as the Sox lost to the Blue Jays, 9-7, on April 30.
Lester still has a 1.14 WHIP and a 3.11 ERA through his first six starts of the year. He’s struck out 33 and walked 12 in 37 2/3 innings.
The Rangers haven’t been the most pleasant opponent for Lester to face over his career. He’s made 10 starts against them since 2006 and has a 4.57 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP. His worst struggles came last year, as he only logged 8 2/3 innings in total over two starts and gave up 11 runs on 14 hits and six walks.
Darvish’s only career outing against the Sox ended in a loss, as he allowed six runs in 6 1/3 innings on Aug. 6, 2012. The 26-year-old from Japan is off to an excellent start in his second season with the Rangers, though, with a 2.33 ERA and an 0.93 WHIP through six April starts.
In five of his six starts, Darvish has struck out at least eight batters. Last time out, he fanned nine and walked three, allowing four runs as the Rangers beat the White Sox, 10-6.
Of the current Sox, Darvish has taken a beating from Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury. Ellsbury has two doubles in his four appearances against Darvish, and Pedroia has three in the same number of PAs.
Red Sox vs. Darvish (RHP)
Mike Carp (5): .000 BA/.200 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .500/.500/1.000, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Will Middlebrooks (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (4): .750/.750/1.500, 3 doubles, 1 RBI
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk
Rangers vs. Lester (LHP)
Ian Kinsler (26): .217/.308/.478, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Elvis Andrus (21): .263/.333/.316, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (20): .316/.350/.368, 1 double, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Nelson Cruz (18): .529/.556/.941, 1 HR, 1 triple, 2 doubles, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (15): .308/.286/.385, 1 double, 3 RBI, 3 strikeouts
David Murphy (12): .273/.250/.455, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Jeff Baker (7): .857/.857/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Lance Berkman (3): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Geovany Soto (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Craig Gentry (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 single
Leury Garcia, Leonys Martin and Mitch Moreland have never faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven