Sunday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Jon Lester vs. Yu Darvish
|05.05.13 at 8:47 am ET|
After opening the year impressively, Lester’s performance fell off somewhat in his last two appearances. He walked six over 5 2/3 innings against the A’s on April 24, although he limited the damage to three runs and still picked up the win as the Sox offense helped him out.
Then, in his last start, Lester had his worst outing of the year, giving up six runs (five earned) on six hits and two walks over six innings as the Sox lost to the Blue Jays, 9-7, on April 30.
Lester still has a 1.14 WHIP and a 3.11 ERA through his first six starts of the year. He’s struck out 33 and walked 12 in 37 2/3 innings.
The Rangers haven’t been the most pleasant opponent for Lester to face over his career. He’s made 10 starts against them since 2006 and has a 4.57 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP. His worst struggles came last year, as he only logged 8 2/3 innings in total over two starts and gave up 11 runs on 14 hits and six walks.
Darvish’s only career outing against the Sox ended in a loss, as he allowed six runs in 6 1/3 innings on Aug. 6, 2012. The 26-year-old from Japan is off to an excellent start in his second season with the Rangers, though, with a 2.33 ERA and an 0.93 WHIP through six April starts.
In five of his six starts, Darvish has struck out at least eight batters. Last time out, he fanned nine and walked three, allowing four runs as the Rangers beat the White Sox, 10-6.
Of the current Sox, Darvish has taken a beating from Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury. Ellsbury has two doubles in his four appearances against Darvish, and Pedroia has three in the same number of PAs.
Red Sox vs. Darvish (RHP)
Mike Carp (5): .000 BA/.200 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .500/.500/1.000, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Will Middlebrooks (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (4): .750/.750/1.500, 3 doubles, 1 RBI
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk
Rangers vs. Lester (LHP)
Ian Kinsler (26): .217/.308/.478, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Elvis Andrus (21): .263/.333/.316, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (20): .316/.350/.368, 1 double, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Nelson Cruz (18): .529/.556/.941, 1 HR, 1 triple, 2 doubles, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (15): .308/.286/.385, 1 double, 3 RBI, 3 strikeouts
David Murphy (12): .273/.250/.455, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Jeff Baker (7): .857/.857/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Lance Berkman (3): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Geovany Soto (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Craig Gentry (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 single
Leury Garcia, Leonys Martin and Mitch Moreland have never faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Moore, Miller provide heroics as Drive win in 14
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win