Monday’s Red Sox-Twins matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Vance Worley
|05.06.13 at 9:40 am ET|
Clay Buchholz will aim to continue his dominant start to the season against the Twins on Monday as the Sox return home from trips to Toronto and Texas. Vance Worley will start for the Rangers in the 7:10 p.m. game.
Buchholz has been one of the best starters in baseball over the first month of the season. His 1.01 ERA is the best in the majors, and his 0.96 WHIP is fifth best in the American League.
He is stranding an uncommonly high number of baserunners — 91.4 percent compared to the league average of 73.4 percent — and that number likely will come down as the season goes on. But he’s also striking out 9.47 batters per nine innings, and he’s consistently pitching deep into games. All of his starts have lasted at least seven innings.
After Buchholz beat the Blue Jays in Toronto on May 1 — striking out eight, walking three and shutting out the Jays over seven innings — Toronto broadcasters Jack Morris and Dirk Hayhurst suggested that Buchholz was using an illegal substance to doctor the ball.
Buchholz has made five career starts against the Twins, with mediocre results. He has a 1.45 WHIP and a 4.25 ERA against them in 29 2/3 innings. Last season he saw them twice, pitching 12 1/3 innings and giving up six runs (five earned) on 17 hits and four walks.
Worley’s season has been the opposite of Buchholz’ in just about every way. He’s tied for the worst ERA in the majors, 7.22, and owns the worst WHIP, 1.92, through six starts. He’s struck out just 17 batters in 28 2/3 innings and is averaging less than five innings per start, although that average is dragged down somewhat by his worst outing, in which he gave up nine runs (seven earned) in just one inning against the Mets on April 12.
Last time out, Worley made it through just 4 2/3 innings against the Tigers, giving up six runs on 10 hits and a walk as the Twins lost, 6-1, on April 30.
Worley has faced the Red Sox only once, as a Phillie back in 2011. He lasted seven innings and gave up just one run, striking out five as the Phillies won, 2-1.
The current Sox have barely seen Worley at all — this is his first season in the AL, and none have faced him more than three times. The Twins are slightly more familiar with Buchholz, and Justin Morneau is hitting .500 against him in 14 plate appearances with an RBI.
Twins vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Justin Morneau (14): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Joe Mauer (12): .300/.417/.400, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks
Jamey Carroll (9): .167/.444/.167, 2 walks
Trevor Plouffe (5): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Ryan Doumit (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single
Brian Dozier (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Eduardo Escobar (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Chris Parmelee (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Josh Willingham (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Oswaldo Arcia, Pedro Florimon, Aaron Hicks and Wilkin Ramirez have never faced Buchholz.
Red Sox vs. Worley (RHP)
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG
David Ortiz (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mike Carp (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins