David Ross, Will Middlebrooks exit after collision
|05.07.13 at 8:44 pm ET|
Red Sox catcher David Ross and third baseman Will Middlebrooks both left Tuesday night’s game against the Twins at Fenway Park shortly after a collision that took place in pursuit of a foul pop-up by the short, padded fence next to the visitor’s dugout at Fenway Park.
Chris Parmalee fouled off a Ryan Dempster cutter, too shallow for either Middlebrooks or Ross to call off the other. Middlebrooks made a tremendous sliding catch of the ball, but as he did so, he crashed into Ross’ left leg, perhaps at the knee.
Initially, after receiving attention from a team trainer, Ross stayed in the contest. But after Wilkin Ramirez lined a first-pitch fastball up the middle to score Ryan Doumit from third, Ross hobbled to the mound to confer with Dempster. Upon further attention from the training staff, he walked off the field and into the clubhouse with a slight limp. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who played all 11 innings in Monday’s lengthy affair against the Twins, replaced Ross, who was diagnosed with what the team described as a left quad contusion.
Ross is hitting .237/.341/.579 with four homers in 44 plate appearances. If he is unavailable for any meaningful stretch of time, the Sox almost surely would call up Ryan Lavarnway, who is hitting .328/.432/.500 for Triple-A Pawtucket and who has reached in all 18 games in which he’s played this year.
While Middlebrooks initially remained in the game, he was replaced at third base for the top of the seventh by Pedro Ciriaco due to what the team described as “right side pain.” The third baseman was 0-for-2 with a strikeout. He is hitting .192/.228/.375 with six homers.
Further updates will be offered as they become available.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando