David Ross, Will Middlebrooks exit after collision
|05.07.13 at 8:44 pm ET|
Red Sox catcher David Ross and third baseman Will Middlebrooks both left Tuesday night’s game against the Twins at Fenway Park shortly after a collision that took place in pursuit of a foul pop-up by the short, padded fence next to the visitor’s dugout at Fenway Park.
Chris Parmalee fouled off a Ryan Dempster cutter, too shallow for either Middlebrooks or Ross to call off the other. Middlebrooks made a tremendous sliding catch of the ball, but as he did so, he crashed into Ross’ left leg, perhaps at the knee.
Initially, after receiving attention from a team trainer, Ross stayed in the contest. But after Wilkin Ramirez lined a first-pitch fastball up the middle to score Ryan Doumit from third, Ross hobbled to the mound to confer with Dempster. Upon further attention from the training staff, he walked off the field and into the clubhouse with a slight limp. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who played all 11 innings in Monday’s lengthy affair against the Twins, replaced Ross, who was diagnosed with what the team described as a left quad contusion.
Ross is hitting .237/.341/.579 with four homers in 44 plate appearances. If he is unavailable for any meaningful stretch of time, the Sox almost surely would call up Ryan Lavarnway, who is hitting .328/.432/.500 for Triple-A Pawtucket and who has reached in all 18 games in which he’s played this year.
While Middlebrooks initially remained in the game, he was replaced at third base for the top of the seventh by Pedro Ciriaco due to what the team described as “right side pain.” The third baseman was 0-for-2 with a strikeout. He is hitting .192/.228/.375 with six homers.
Further updates will be offered as they become available.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game
- System Restart '17: Outfield
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis blasts three home runs for Salem
- Scouting Scratch: First Look at the Portland Bullpen
- System Restart '17: Middle Infield