David Ross, Will Middlebrooks exit after collision
|05.07.13 at 8:44 pm ET|
Red Sox catcher David Ross and third baseman Will Middlebrooks both left Tuesday night’s game against the Twins at Fenway Park shortly after a collision that took place in pursuit of a foul pop-up by the short, padded fence next to the visitor’s dugout at Fenway Park.
Chris Parmalee fouled off a Ryan Dempster cutter, too shallow for either Middlebrooks or Ross to call off the other. Middlebrooks made a tremendous sliding catch of the ball, but as he did so, he crashed into Ross’ left leg, perhaps at the knee.
Initially, after receiving attention from a team trainer, Ross stayed in the contest. But after Wilkin Ramirez lined a first-pitch fastball up the middle to score Ryan Doumit from third, Ross hobbled to the mound to confer with Dempster. Upon further attention from the training staff, he walked off the field and into the clubhouse with a slight limp. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who played all 11 innings in Monday’s lengthy affair against the Twins, replaced Ross, who was diagnosed with what the team described as a left quad contusion.
Ross is hitting .237/.341/.579 with four homers in 44 plate appearances. If he is unavailable for any meaningful stretch of time, the Sox almost surely would call up Ryan Lavarnway, who is hitting .328/.432/.500 for Triple-A Pawtucket and who has reached in all 18 games in which he’s played this year.
While Middlebrooks initially remained in the game, he was replaced at third base for the top of the seventh by Pedro Ciriaco due to what the team described as “right side pain.” The third baseman was 0-for-2 with a strikeout. He is hitting .192/.228/.375 with six homers.
Further updates will be offered as they become available.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017