Tuesday’s Red Sox-Twins matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Scott Diamond
|05.07.13 at 9:29 am ET|
Ryan Dempster will face off against one of the only other Canadian starting pitchers in the majors, Scott Diamond of the Twins, at 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday.
Dempster picked up his second win on May 2 as the Sox beat the Blue Jays, 3-1. He struck out just four, his lowest strikeout total of the year, but allowed only one run on four hits and three walks over six innings.
With the Sox bullpen struggling of late, the team will hope for Dempster to pitch as far into Tuesday’s game as he can. This year, he’s twice gone five innings, twice six and twice seven, last finishing the seventh inning on April 21 against the Royals.
Dempster has started just three games against the Twins in his career, two of them last year with the Rangers. He struck out 13 over 14 innings in those two starts and allowed just two runs, picking up wins in both games.
Diamond has put together a string of three solid starts since starting off on shaky ground this season. He’s pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts, and most recently gave up two runs over six, striking out three and walking one, as the Twins beat the Tigers, 6-2, on May 1.
Diamond emerged as a decent starter for the Twins last year in his first full season in the big leagues. Over 27 starts, he posted a 3.54 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. His strikeout numbers were underwhelming (just 4.7 per nine innings, the second-lowest rate in the American League) but he balanced that out with the lowest walk rate in the AL, walking 1.6 batters per nine innings.
Apart from Jamey Carroll, who owns a .467 OBP against him in 15 PAs, Dempster has fared well against most current Twins. Justin Morneau has a solo home run against him, but Joe Mauer has had trouble with Dempster, striking out five times in seven appearances against him.
Twins vs. Dempster (RHP)
Ryan Doumit (28): .192 BA/.250 OBP/.192 SLG, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Jamey Carroll (15): .429/.467/.500, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Josh Willingham (15): .083/.267/.167, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Joe Mauer (7): .000/.000/.000, 5 strikeouts
Justin Morneau (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Trevor Plouffe (6): .167/.167/.167, 2 strikeouts
Brian Dozier (3): .000/.000/.000
Eduardo Escobar (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Pedro Florimon (2): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Vance Worley (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Chris Parmelee and Wilkin Ramirez have never faced Dempster.
Red Sox vs. Diamond (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino has never reached base in three PAs against Diamond. Mike Carp, Pedro Ciriaco, Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Will Middlebrooks, Mike Napoli, Daniel Nava, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, David Ross and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have never faced Diamond.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins