Tuesday’s Red Sox-Twins matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Scott Diamond
|05.07.13 at 9:29 am ET|
Ryan Dempster will face off against one of the only other Canadian starting pitchers in the majors, Scott Diamond of the Twins, at 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday.
Dempster picked up his second win on May 2 as the Sox beat the Blue Jays, 3-1. He struck out just four, his lowest strikeout total of the year, but allowed only one run on four hits and three walks over six innings.
With the Sox bullpen struggling of late, the team will hope for Dempster to pitch as far into Tuesday’s game as he can. This year, he’s twice gone five innings, twice six and twice seven, last finishing the seventh inning on April 21 against the Royals.
Dempster has started just three games against the Twins in his career, two of them last year with the Rangers. He struck out 13 over 14 innings in those two starts and allowed just two runs, picking up wins in both games.
Diamond has put together a string of three solid starts since starting off on shaky ground this season. He’s pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts, and most recently gave up two runs over six, striking out three and walking one, as the Twins beat the Tigers, 6-2, on May 1.
Diamond emerged as a decent starter for the Twins last year in his first full season in the big leagues. Over 27 starts, he posted a 3.54 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. His strikeout numbers were underwhelming (just 4.7 per nine innings, the second-lowest rate in the American League) but he balanced that out with the lowest walk rate in the AL, walking 1.6 batters per nine innings.
Apart from Jamey Carroll, who owns a .467 OBP against him in 15 PAs, Dempster has fared well against most current Twins. Justin Morneau has a solo home run against him, but Joe Mauer has had trouble with Dempster, striking out five times in seven appearances against him.
Twins vs. Dempster (RHP)
Ryan Doumit (28): .192 BA/.250 OBP/.192 SLG, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Jamey Carroll (15): .429/.467/.500, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Josh Willingham (15): .083/.267/.167, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Joe Mauer (7): .000/.000/.000, 5 strikeouts
Justin Morneau (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Trevor Plouffe (6): .167/.167/.167, 2 strikeouts
Brian Dozier (3): .000/.000/.000
Eduardo Escobar (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Pedro Florimon (2): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Vance Worley (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Chris Parmelee and Wilkin Ramirez have never faced Dempster.
Red Sox vs. Diamond (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino has never reached base in three PAs against Diamond. Mike Carp, Pedro Ciriaco, Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Will Middlebrooks, Mike Napoli, Daniel Nava, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, David Ross and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have never faced Diamond.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues