Tuesday’s Red Sox-Twins matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Scott Diamond
|05.07.13 at 9:29 am ET|
Ryan Dempster will face off against one of the only other Canadian starting pitchers in the majors, Scott Diamond of the Twins, at 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday.
Dempster picked up his second win on May 2 as the Sox beat the Blue Jays, 3-1. He struck out just four, his lowest strikeout total of the year, but allowed only one run on four hits and three walks over six innings.
With the Sox bullpen struggling of late, the team will hope for Dempster to pitch as far into Tuesday’s game as he can. This year, he’s twice gone five innings, twice six and twice seven, last finishing the seventh inning on April 21 against the Royals.
Dempster has started just three games against the Twins in his career, two of them last year with the Rangers. He struck out 13 over 14 innings in those two starts and allowed just two runs, picking up wins in both games.
Diamond has put together a string of three solid starts since starting off on shaky ground this season. He’s pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts, and most recently gave up two runs over six, striking out three and walking one, as the Twins beat the Tigers, 6-2, on May 1.
Diamond emerged as a decent starter for the Twins last year in his first full season in the big leagues. Over 27 starts, he posted a 3.54 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. His strikeout numbers were underwhelming (just 4.7 per nine innings, the second-lowest rate in the American League) but he balanced that out with the lowest walk rate in the AL, walking 1.6 batters per nine innings.
Apart from Jamey Carroll, who owns a .467 OBP against him in 15 PAs, Dempster has fared well against most current Twins. Justin Morneau has a solo home run against him, but Joe Mauer has had trouble with Dempster, striking out five times in seven appearances against him.
Twins vs. Dempster (RHP)
Ryan Doumit (28): .192 BA/.250 OBP/.192 SLG, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Jamey Carroll (15): .429/.467/.500, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Josh Willingham (15): .083/.267/.167, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Joe Mauer (7): .000/.000/.000, 5 strikeouts
Justin Morneau (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Trevor Plouffe (6): .167/.167/.167, 2 strikeouts
Brian Dozier (3): .000/.000/.000
Eduardo Escobar (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Pedro Florimon (2): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Vance Worley (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Chris Parmelee and Wilkin Ramirez have never faced Dempster.
Red Sox vs. Diamond (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino has never reached base in three PAs against Diamond. Mike Carp, Pedro Ciriaco, Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Will Middlebrooks, Mike Napoli, Daniel Nava, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, David Ross and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have never faced Diamond.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered