Tuesday’s Red Sox-Twins matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Scott Diamond
|05.07.13 at 9:29 am ET|
Ryan Dempster will face off against one of the only other Canadian starting pitchers in the majors, Scott Diamond of the Twins, at 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday.
Dempster picked up his second win on May 2 as the Sox beat the Blue Jays, 3-1. He struck out just four, his lowest strikeout total of the year, but allowed only one run on four hits and three walks over six innings.
With the Sox bullpen struggling of late, the team will hope for Dempster to pitch as far into Tuesday’s game as he can. This year, he’s twice gone five innings, twice six and twice seven, last finishing the seventh inning on April 21 against the Royals.
Dempster has started just three games against the Twins in his career, two of them last year with the Rangers. He struck out 13 over 14 innings in those two starts and allowed just two runs, picking up wins in both games.
Diamond has put together a string of three solid starts since starting off on shaky ground this season. He’s pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts, and most recently gave up two runs over six, striking out three and walking one, as the Twins beat the Tigers, 6-2, on May 1.
Diamond emerged as a decent starter for the Twins last year in his first full season in the big leagues. Over 27 starts, he posted a 3.54 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. His strikeout numbers were underwhelming (just 4.7 per nine innings, the second-lowest rate in the American League) but he balanced that out with the lowest walk rate in the AL, walking 1.6 batters per nine innings.
Apart from Jamey Carroll, who owns a .467 OBP against him in 15 PAs, Dempster has fared well against most current Twins. Justin Morneau has a solo home run against him, but Joe Mauer has had trouble with Dempster, striking out five times in seven appearances against him.
Twins vs. Dempster (RHP)
Ryan Doumit (28): .192 BA/.250 OBP/.192 SLG, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Jamey Carroll (15): .429/.467/.500, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Josh Willingham (15): .083/.267/.167, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Joe Mauer (7): .000/.000/.000, 5 strikeouts
Justin Morneau (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Trevor Plouffe (6): .167/.167/.167, 2 strikeouts
Brian Dozier (3): .000/.000/.000
Eduardo Escobar (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Pedro Florimon (2): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Vance Worley (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Chris Parmelee and Wilkin Ramirez have never faced Dempster.
Red Sox vs. Diamond (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino has never reached base in three PAs against Diamond. Mike Carp, Pedro Ciriaco, Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Will Middlebrooks, Mike Napoli, Daniel Nava, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, David Ross and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have never faced Diamond.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven