Tuesday’s Red Sox-Twins matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Scott Diamond
|05.07.13 at 9:29 am ET|
Ryan Dempster will face off against one of the only other Canadian starting pitchers in the majors, Scott Diamond of the Twins, at 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday.
Dempster picked up his second win on May 2 as the Sox beat the Blue Jays, 3-1. He struck out just four, his lowest strikeout total of the year, but allowed only one run on four hits and three walks over six innings.
With the Sox bullpen struggling of late, the team will hope for Dempster to pitch as far into Tuesday’s game as he can. This year, he’s twice gone five innings, twice six and twice seven, last finishing the seventh inning on April 21 against the Royals.
Dempster has started just three games against the Twins in his career, two of them last year with the Rangers. He struck out 13 over 14 innings in those two starts and allowed just two runs, picking up wins in both games.
Diamond has put together a string of three solid starts since starting off on shaky ground this season. He’s pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts, and most recently gave up two runs over six, striking out three and walking one, as the Twins beat the Tigers, 6-2, on May 1.
Diamond emerged as a decent starter for the Twins last year in his first full season in the big leagues. Over 27 starts, he posted a 3.54 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. His strikeout numbers were underwhelming (just 4.7 per nine innings, the second-lowest rate in the American League) but he balanced that out with the lowest walk rate in the AL, walking 1.6 batters per nine innings.
Apart from Jamey Carroll, who owns a .467 OBP against him in 15 PAs, Dempster has fared well against most current Twins. Justin Morneau has a solo home run against him, but Joe Mauer has had trouble with Dempster, striking out five times in seven appearances against him.
Twins vs. Dempster (RHP)
Ryan Doumit (28): .192 BA/.250 OBP/.192 SLG, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Jamey Carroll (15): .429/.467/.500, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Josh Willingham (15): .083/.267/.167, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Joe Mauer (7): .000/.000/.000, 5 strikeouts
Justin Morneau (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Trevor Plouffe (6): .167/.167/.167, 2 strikeouts
Brian Dozier (3): .000/.000/.000
Eduardo Escobar (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Pedro Florimon (2): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Vance Worley (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Chris Parmelee and Wilkin Ramirez have never faced Dempster.
Red Sox vs. Diamond (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino has never reached base in three PAs against Diamond. Mike Carp, Pedro Ciriaco, Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Will Middlebrooks, Mike Napoli, Daniel Nava, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, David Ross and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have never faced Diamond.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise