Dr. James Andrews looking at Joel Hanrahan’s arm images
|05.08.13 at 7:43 pm ET|
Joel Hanrahan said prior to the Red Sox‘ game against the Twins Wednesday that the team had sent the MRI images of his ailing right forearm/elbow to both Dr. James Andrews and Dr. David Altchek, hoping to determine the extent of the pitcher’s recent injury.
One of the concerns, Hanrahan explained, was that the inflamed flexor tendon hadn’t been sufficiently protecting the elbow ligament, leading to a problem with that area.
“The flexor muscle basically protects your ligament. That’s one of the things they’re looking at, to see how that ligament looks,” said the reliever. “Obviously I think you could probably go through this clubhouse and look at everybody’s ligament and it’s not going to be like a 12-year-old’s ligament. So that’s one thing they’ll look at, to see if that ligament has been compromised.”
Hanrahan, who was forced to leave Monday’s game after experiencing pain in his forearm (leading to his current stint on the 15-day disabled list) said he is still dealing with discomfort in that area of his right arm.
“It’s been sore pretty much all throughout that area since Monday. It’s still sore,” he said. “I can’t really grip a whole lot. I haven’t really been doing anything but icing and riding the bike. There’s not a lot we can do. Just sit, wait and do treatment and see where that takes us.”
The 31-year-old Hanrahan, who already spent a stint on the 15-day disabled list due to a sore right hamstring earlier this season, said he has never undergone any sort of surgery.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg