Dr. James Andrews looking at Joel Hanrahan’s arm images
|05.08.13 at 7:43 pm ET|
Joel Hanrahan said prior to the Red Sox‘ game against the Twins Wednesday that the team had sent the MRI images of his ailing right forearm/elbow to both Dr. James Andrews and Dr. David Altchek, hoping to determine the extent of the pitcher’s recent injury.
One of the concerns, Hanrahan explained, was that the inflamed flexor tendon hadn’t been sufficiently protecting the elbow ligament, leading to a problem with that area.
“The flexor muscle basically protects your ligament. That’s one of the things they’re looking at, to see how that ligament looks,” said the reliever. “Obviously I think you could probably go through this clubhouse and look at everybody’s ligament and it’s not going to be like a 12-year-old’s ligament. So that’s one thing they’ll look at, to see if that ligament has been compromised.”
Hanrahan, who was forced to leave Monday’s game after experiencing pain in his forearm (leading to his current stint on the 15-day disabled list) said he is still dealing with discomfort in that area of his right arm.
“It’s been sore pretty much all throughout that area since Monday. It’s still sore,” he said. “I can’t really grip a whole lot. I haven’t really been doing anything but icing and riding the bike. There’s not a lot we can do. Just sit, wait and do treatment and see where that takes us.”
The 31-year-old Hanrahan, who already spent a stint on the 15-day disabled list due to a sore right hamstring earlier this season, said he has never undergone any sort of surgery.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando