Dr. James Andrews looking at Joel Hanrahan’s arm images
|05.08.13 at 7:43 pm ET|
Joel Hanrahan said prior to the Red Sox‘ game against the Twins Wednesday that the team had sent the MRI images of his ailing right forearm/elbow to both Dr. James Andrews and Dr. David Altchek, hoping to determine the extent of the pitcher’s recent injury.
One of the concerns, Hanrahan explained, was that the inflamed flexor tendon hadn’t been sufficiently protecting the elbow ligament, leading to a problem with that area.
“The flexor muscle basically protects your ligament. That’s one of the things they’re looking at, to see how that ligament looks,” said the reliever. “Obviously I think you could probably go through this clubhouse and look at everybody’s ligament and it’s not going to be like a 12-year-old’s ligament. So that’s one thing they’ll look at, to see if that ligament has been compromised.”
Hanrahan, who was forced to leave Monday’s game after experiencing pain in his forearm (leading to his current stint on the 15-day disabled list) said he is still dealing with discomfort in that area of his right arm.
“It’s been sore pretty much all throughout that area since Monday. It’s still sore,” he said. “I can’t really grip a whole lot. I haven’t really been doing anything but icing and riding the bike. There’s not a lot we can do. Just sit, wait and do treatment and see where that takes us.”
The 31-year-old Hanrahan, who already spent a stint on the 15-day disabled list due to a sore right hamstring earlier this season, said he has never undergone any sort of surgery.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive