John Farrell on Jose Iglesias: ‘Players’ personal goals sometimes don’t align with team’s goals’
|05.08.13 at 3:36 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell hinted as some issues Wednesday with the development of young shortstop Jose Iglesias, who was demoted to Triple-A earlier this season, saying that sometimes, “players’ personal goals sometimes don’t align with team’s goals.”
“He handled the initial option back to Pawtucket as a pro, and he continued to get his work in,” Farrell told WEEI’s “Salk & Holley” on Wednesday afternoon. “But I think as time as gone on, he’s kind of feeling like he should be in a big-league uniform. Yet, that time isn’t now.”
The evolution of Iglesias as a professional ballplayer is an ongoing process. It’s clear the youngster believes he’s ready for the majors, despite the fact that Stephen Drew remains entrenched as the starting shortstop in Boston. However, as Pawtucket skipper Gary DiSarcina told WEEI late last month, the organization continues to preach patience with Iglesias.
“The way I’ve approached Iggy is, have a little patience with him, give him a few days to come back down to earth and realize where he is. He’s not on a rehab assignment. He’s on the Triple-A team to get his at-bats. He’s with us. He’s not like David Ortiz where he’s going to be going whenever he’s physically ready,” said DiSarcina.
“Stephen Drew was signed here to play. He’s getting a lot of money to come over here and play for a year. It’s difficult, but it goes back to communication and talking,” he added.
“You can say to a player, ‘Hey man, it’s a raw deal. You’re getting a raw deal. You went up there, you did what you’re supposed to do and you exceeded expectations. But reality is reality. You’re here now. And we’re going to work to get you out of here. We’re here for you — the hitting coach, the pitching coach, myself, the trainer — we’re here to get you out of here. Use us.’ ”
For more on the Red Sox, check out weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot