John Farrell on Jose Iglesias: ‘Players’ personal goals sometimes don’t align with team’s goals’
|05.08.13 at 3:36 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell hinted as some issues Wednesday with the development of young shortstop Jose Iglesias, who was demoted to Triple-A earlier this season, saying that sometimes, “players’ personal goals sometimes don’t align with team’s goals.”
“He handled the initial option back to Pawtucket as a pro, and he continued to get his work in,” Farrell told WEEI’s “Salk & Holley” on Wednesday afternoon. “But I think as time as gone on, he’s kind of feeling like he should be in a big-league uniform. Yet, that time isn’t now.”
The evolution of Iglesias as a professional ballplayer is an ongoing process. It’s clear the youngster believes he’s ready for the majors, despite the fact that Stephen Drew remains entrenched as the starting shortstop in Boston. However, as Pawtucket skipper Gary DiSarcina told WEEI late last month, the organization continues to preach patience with Iglesias.
“The way I’ve approached Iggy is, have a little patience with him, give him a few days to come back down to earth and realize where he is. He’s not on a rehab assignment. He’s on the Triple-A team to get his at-bats. He’s with us. He’s not like David Ortiz where he’s going to be going whenever he’s physically ready,” said DiSarcina.
“Stephen Drew was signed here to play. He’s getting a lot of money to come over here and play for a year. It’s difficult, but it goes back to communication and talking,” he added.
“You can say to a player, ‘Hey man, it’s a raw deal. You’re getting a raw deal. You went up there, you did what you’re supposed to do and you exceeded expectations. But reality is reality. You’re here now. And we’re going to work to get you out of here. We’re here for you — the hitting coach, the pitching coach, myself, the trainer — we’re here to get you out of here. Use us.’ ”
For more on the Red Sox, check out weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg