John Farrell on Jose Iglesias: ‘Players’ personal goals sometimes don’t align with team’s goals’
|05.08.13 at 3:36 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell hinted as some issues Wednesday with the development of young shortstop Jose Iglesias, who was demoted to Triple-A earlier this season, saying that sometimes, “players’ personal goals sometimes don’t align with team’s goals.”
“He handled the initial option back to Pawtucket as a pro, and he continued to get his work in,” Farrell told WEEI’s “Salk & Holley” on Wednesday afternoon. “But I think as time as gone on, he’s kind of feeling like he should be in a big-league uniform. Yet, that time isn’t now.”
The evolution of Iglesias as a professional ballplayer is an ongoing process. It’s clear the youngster believes he’s ready for the majors, despite the fact that Stephen Drew remains entrenched as the starting shortstop in Boston. However, as Pawtucket skipper Gary DiSarcina told WEEI late last month, the organization continues to preach patience with Iglesias.
“The way I’ve approached Iggy is, have a little patience with him, give him a few days to come back down to earth and realize where he is. He’s not on a rehab assignment. He’s on the Triple-A team to get his at-bats. He’s with us. He’s not like David Ortiz where he’s going to be going whenever he’s physically ready,” said DiSarcina.
“Stephen Drew was signed here to play. He’s getting a lot of money to come over here and play for a year. It’s difficult, but it goes back to communication and talking,” he added.
“You can say to a player, ‘Hey man, it’s a raw deal. You’re getting a raw deal. You went up there, you did what you’re supposed to do and you exceeded expectations. But reality is reality. You’re here now. And we’re going to work to get you out of here. We’re here for you — the hitting coach, the pitching coach, myself, the trainer — we’re here to get you out of here. Use us.’ ”
For more on the Red Sox, check out weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles