Jose De La Torre to become newest member of Red Sox bullpen
|05.09.13 at 9:18 am ET|
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said on the Dennis & Callahan show Thursday morning that the team would be promoting reliever Jose De La Torre, replacing Allen Webster on the 25-man roster. The Sox still have to clear a spot off the 40-man roster in order to add the 27-year-old right-hander.
De La Torre has been impressive with Triple-A Pawtucket, totaling a 1.56 ERA in 10 games. Opponents are hitting just .089 against the reliever, who has struck out 17 and walked 10 in 17 1/3 innings. He last pitched Tuesday, and hasn’t allowed a run since April 11 (seven straight scoreless appearances).
This is the first major league call-up for De La Torre, who had previously been in the Mets and Indians minor league systems. He made an impression during this year’s World Baseball Classic, striking out 12 in just 5 2/3 innings while pitching for Puerto Rico.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016