Jose De La Torre to become newest member of Red Sox bullpen
|05.09.13 at 9:18 am ET|
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said on the Dennis & Callahan show Thursday morning that the team would be promoting reliever Jose De La Torre, replacing Allen Webster on the 25-man roster. The Sox still have to clear a spot off the 40-man roster in order to add the 27-year-old right-hander.
De La Torre has been impressive with Triple-A Pawtucket, totaling a 1.56 ERA in 10 games. Opponents are hitting just .089 against the reliever, who has struck out 17 and walked 10 in 17 1/3 innings. He last pitched Tuesday, and hasn’t allowed a run since April 11 (seven straight scoreless appearances).
This is the first major league call-up for De La Torre, who had previously been in the Mets and Indians minor league systems. He made an impression during this year’s World Baseball Classic, striking out 12 in just 5 2/3 innings while pitching for Puerto Rico.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster