Clay Buchholz on Jack Morris: ‘I don’t have any ill feelings towards anyone’
|05.10.13 at 11:26 pm ET|
Prior to Friday’s game between the Red Sox and Blue Jays, Toronto broadcaster Jack Morris conferred with Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz behind the cage during batting practice. The two discussed the analyst’s comments during a broadcast last week, in which Morris accused Buchholz of doctoring the baseball over the course of a seven-inning shutout effort — comments that set off something of a firestorm regarding the use of rosin and perhaps a substance such as BullFrog sunscreen on the mound to improve the pitcher’s grip.
What did Morris say to Buchholz?
“It was alright. Nothing really. He was just confirming that he wasn’t bashing me for anything in any way. That was basically it,” said Buchholz. “I said it from the beginning. I don’t have any ill feelings towards anyone. They’re people who are supposed to talk about stuff and that was just the topic that got a lot of attention I guess. It was fine.
“It was definitely better to do it that way than to hear it through somebody else’s words. It was basically nothing said. Just said he wasn’t trying to take away from my pitching or anything, just something that he saw and he would have said it regarding who was on the mound.”
Buchholz, who is 6-0 with a 1.60 ERA, is slated to face the Blue Jays again on Saturday. He seemed more concern about the task of picking up on the dominance exhibited by Jon Lester (who threw a one-hit complete-game shutout) than with the comments of Morris.
“Awesome. Fun to watch. Really fun to watch,” Buchholz said of his teammate’s outing. “Tough to follow up but fun to watch.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles