Clay Buchholz on Jack Morris: ‘I don’t have any ill feelings towards anyone’
|05.10.13 at 11:26 pm ET|
Prior to Friday’s game between the Red Sox and Blue Jays, Toronto broadcaster Jack Morris conferred with Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz behind the cage during batting practice. The two discussed the analyst’s comments during a broadcast last week, in which Morris accused Buchholz of doctoring the baseball over the course of a seven-inning shutout effort — comments that set off something of a firestorm regarding the use of rosin and perhaps a substance such as BullFrog sunscreen on the mound to improve the pitcher’s grip.
What did Morris say to Buchholz?
“It was alright. Nothing really. He was just confirming that he wasn’t bashing me for anything in any way. That was basically it,” said Buchholz. “I said it from the beginning. I don’t have any ill feelings towards anyone. They’re people who are supposed to talk about stuff and that was just the topic that got a lot of attention I guess. It was fine.
“It was definitely better to do it that way than to hear it through somebody else’s words. It was basically nothing said. Just said he wasn’t trying to take away from my pitching or anything, just something that he saw and he would have said it regarding who was on the mound.”
Buchholz, who is 6-0 with a 1.60 ERA, is slated to face the Blue Jays again on Saturday. He seemed more concern about the task of picking up on the dominance exhibited by Jon Lester (who threw a one-hit complete-game shutout) than with the comments of Morris.
“Awesome. Fun to watch. Really fun to watch,” Buchholz said of his teammate’s outing. “Tough to follow up but fun to watch.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing
- Cup of Coffee: Couch dominates Richmond
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez dominates while Kukuk and Ball struggle