David Ortiz to Dan Shaughnessy: ‘Look who it is’
|05.11.13 at 6:03 pm ET|
As David Ortiz prepared to leave the Red Sox clubhouse after the team’s 3-2 loss to the Blue Jays, he did a double-take. The sight of Dan Shaughnessy, the Boston Globe columnist who confronted the slugger directly with suspicions about the possibility of his use of steroids, standing with a group of reporters, caught Ortiz’s attention.
“Look who it is,” Ortiz said.
He paused for a moment, then noted — loudly enough that all in the clubhouse were party to his address — that on the very day on which Shaughnessy interviewed him, he took a test for PEDs. Ortiz said he would be sure to pass along results of that test to the columnist. Ortiz became slightly more animated as he noted that he’d taken 40 tests administered by Major League Baseball.
“I’ve never tested positive,” Ortiz told the columnist, who had referenced the fact that the New York Times discovered in 2009 that the slugger had tested positive for a performance-enhancer in 2003 (at a time when a) there were no penalties for positive tests and b) test results were supposed to be anonymous).
When the report surfaced four years ago, Ortiz disputed that he had ever knowingly used PEDs, something that he mentioned anew to Shaughnessy as he walked towards the clubhouse door.
“By the way,” Ortiz said, “let me know what I tested positive for in 2003.”
As he spoke, while Ortiz was clearly upset, his tone remained relatively measured. He did not seek a response from Shaughnessy, nor did the columnist say anything while Ortiz spoke, though he did position himself to speak to Ortiz if the slugger wanted to do so.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing