David Ortiz to Dan Shaughnessy: ‘Look who it is’
|05.11.13 at 6:03 pm ET|
As David Ortiz prepared to leave the Red Sox clubhouse after the team’s 3-2 loss to the Blue Jays, he did a double-take. The sight of Dan Shaughnessy, the Boston Globe columnist who confronted the slugger directly with suspicions about the possibility of his use of steroids, standing with a group of reporters, caught Ortiz’s attention.
“Look who it is,” Ortiz said.
He paused for a moment, then noted — loudly enough that all in the clubhouse were party to his address — that on the very day on which Shaughnessy interviewed him, he took a test for PEDs. Ortiz said he would be sure to pass along results of that test to the columnist. Ortiz became slightly more animated as he noted that he’d taken 40 tests administered by Major League Baseball.
“I’ve never tested positive,” Ortiz told the columnist, who had referenced the fact that the New York Times discovered in 2009 that the slugger had tested positive for a performance-enhancer in 2003 (at a time when a) there were no penalties for positive tests and b) test results were supposed to be anonymous).
When the report surfaced four years ago, Ortiz disputed that he had ever knowingly used PEDs, something that he mentioned anew to Shaughnessy as he walked towards the clubhouse door.
“By the way,” Ortiz said, “let me know what I tested positive for in 2003.”
As he spoke, while Ortiz was clearly upset, his tone remained relatively measured. He did not seek a response from Shaughnessy, nor did the columnist say anything while Ortiz spoke, though he did position himself to speak to Ortiz if the slugger wanted to do so.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: De La Rosa, Stankiewicz pitch well in victories
- Two decades later, Billy McMillon back in Portland
- The Write-Up: Garin Cecchini and Christian Vazquez
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket holds on to win, Salem drops doubleheader
- Cup of Coffee: Rain halts three affiliates, Greenville falls again
- Players of the Week, 4/7-13: Kevin Mager & Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Coyle, Betts lift up Owens in Sea Dogs win
- Weekly Notes: Betts, Owens continue torrid starts
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo hits first professional home run in Greenville win
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #56: Reports from The Bucket