Shane Victorino heads to hospital after collision with wall
|05.12.13 at 6:03 pm ET|
After the Red Sox‘ 12-4 loss to Toronto, the team announced that Shane Victorino had been taken to Massachusetts General Hospital to get his ribs and back examined. The outfielder was forced to leave Sunday’s game in the seventh inning after he ran into the right field wall chasing Emilio Bonafacio‘s fourth-inning home run.
Following the collision with the wall, Victorino remained on the ground for some time while Red Sox manager John Farrell and the team’s medical staff attended to the outfielder.
“The way Shane hit the wall, he started to stiffen up as the game went on,” Farrell said. “And given what he’s been dealing with, low back-wise, we weren’t going to take any chances further today.”
Victorino had been dealing with back issues since April 25, having just returned to action full-time May 3. Since coming back from the injury, the switch-hitter has hit .348 with a .938 OPS, having gone 1-for-3 before exiting the game Sunday.
“Everything to points to him being ready for Tuesday,” Farrell said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller