Shane Victorino heads to hospital after collision with wall
|05.12.13 at 6:03 pm ET|
After the Red Sox‘ 12-4 loss to Toronto, the team announced that Shane Victorino had been taken to Massachusetts General Hospital to get his ribs and back examined. The outfielder was forced to leave Sunday’s game in the seventh inning after he ran into the right field wall chasing Emilio Bonafacio‘s fourth-inning home run.
Following the collision with the wall, Victorino remained on the ground for some time while Red Sox manager John Farrell and the team’s medical staff attended to the outfielder.
“The way Shane hit the wall, he started to stiffen up as the game went on,” Farrell said. “And given what he’s been dealing with, low back-wise, we weren’t going to take any chances further today.”
Victorino had been dealing with back issues since April 25, having just returned to action full-time May 3. Since coming back from the injury, the switch-hitter has hit .348 with a .938 OPS, having gone 1-for-3 before exiting the game Sunday.
“Everything to points to him being ready for Tuesday,” Farrell said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title