Shane Victorino heads to hospital after collision with wall
|05.12.13 at 6:03 pm ET|
After the Red Sox‘ 12-4 loss to Toronto, the team announced that Shane Victorino had been taken to Massachusetts General Hospital to get his ribs and back examined. The outfielder was forced to leave Sunday’s game in the seventh inning after he ran into the right field wall chasing Emilio Bonafacio‘s fourth-inning home run.
Following the collision with the wall, Victorino remained on the ground for some time while Red Sox manager John Farrell and the team’s medical staff attended to the outfielder.
“The way Shane hit the wall, he started to stiffen up as the game went on,” Farrell said. “And given what he’s been dealing with, low back-wise, we weren’t going to take any chances further today.”
Victorino had been dealing with back issues since April 25, having just returned to action full-time May 3. Since coming back from the injury, the switch-hitter has hit .348 with a .938 OPS, having gone 1-for-3 before exiting the game Sunday.
“Everything to points to him being ready for Tuesday,” Farrell said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles