Shane Victorino cleared to play after examination
|05.13.13 at 2:20 pm ET|
According to a major league source, Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino has been cleared to play Tuesday after being examined at Massachusetts General Hospital Sunday afternoon. All of the X-ray images taken on the outfielder came back negative, showing no damage to his ribs or back.
Victorino was taken to the hospital after colliding with the right field wall after chasing what resulted in Emilio Bonafacio’s fourth-inning home run. The play resulted in the right fielder remaining on the ground for a short while, with Red Sox manager John Farrell and the team’s medical staff running out to the warning track to check on the player. Victorino remained in the game before being removed in the seventh inning.
Victorino had been dealing with back issues since April 25, having just returned to action full-time May 3. Since coming back from the injury, the switch-hitter has hit .348 with a .938 OPS, having gone 1-for-3 before exiting the game Sunday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins