David Ortiz dealing with ‘a little bit of tightness’ in left oblique
|05.14.13 at 11:50 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz, following his team’s 5-3 loss to the Rays, confirmed a report on ESPNDeportes.com that he’s been hindered by “a little bit of tightness” in his left oblique. He suggested that he suffered the injury during the three-game series in Texas over the first weekend of May. While the injury is not as severe as a pull, it’s still affected his swing.
“I’m going to keep on playing with it. It’s not at a point where it gets any worse. Hopefully, it doesn’t get any worse. But yeah, it bothers me on some swings that I take,” explained Ortiz, who hit a three-run homer on Tuesday night that represented his first extra-base hit in a week and snapped a 1-for-19 stretch. “Like last week, I was watching some videos, outside pitches that I was kind of pulling, and when you get to the point where you want to drive the ball the other way and next thing you know you’re hooking the ball, that’s not normal, you know what I’m saying? That had a lot to do with it. Hopefully it gets better.”
Manager John Farrell said that he was “somewhat aware” of the condition, which is part of the reason why the team decided to have Ortiz rest during Sunday’s game against the Blue Jays — to create an opportunity for back-to-back days off with Monday’s off-day. Though he feels some discomfort, Ortiz — who is hitting .329 with a .365 OBP, .633 slugging mark and five homers in 20 games — suggested that so long as he’s physically capable of being in the lineup, he intends to remain there.
“I’ve got to play. I have enough time off,” he said. “It’s not at the point where you pull it, because if you pull it, then you’re definitely not going to be able to play. So I just come in early and treat it, then try to move forward.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs