Daniel Bard’s control issues deepen in five-walk yield for Portland
|05.15.13 at 9:46 pm ET|
Red Sox right-hander Daniel Bard‘s command issues appear to be reaching the point of crisis in the most literal sense, as it seems almost impossible that he should remain in Double-A Portland while ensnared in a struggle for the strike zone that has become worse than anything he dealt with last year.
On Wednesday, Bard allowed a hit, walked five, unleashed two wild pitches and permitted two runs in one inning of work. He threw just eight of 30 pitches for strikes. The outing almost could have been deemed a positive step after Bard worked around a pair of walks in the sixth inning to limit the damage to one run by getting a double-play grounder and another groundout. But he returned to the mound for a second inning of work and walked all three batters he faced.
Bard threw strikes on just 27 percent of his pitches, his worst percentage of any outing in the last two years. In five appearances since returning to Double-A after a brief promotion to the big leagues, Bard has now thrown strikes on just 34 percent of his pitches. He’s walked 13 in 3 2/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles