Daniel Bard’s control issues deepen in five-walk yield for Portland
|05.15.13 at 9:46 pm ET|
Red Sox right-hander Daniel Bard‘s command issues appear to be reaching the point of crisis in the most literal sense, as it seems almost impossible that he should remain in Double-A Portland while ensnared in a struggle for the strike zone that has become worse than anything he dealt with last year.
On Wednesday, Bard allowed a hit, walked five, unleashed two wild pitches and permitted two runs in one inning of work. He threw just eight of 30 pitches for strikes. The outing almost could have been deemed a positive step after Bard worked around a pair of walks in the sixth inning to limit the damage to one run by getting a double-play grounder and another groundout. But he returned to the mound for a second inning of work and walked all three batters he faced.
Bard threw strikes on just 27 percent of his pitches, his worst percentage of any outing in the last two years. In five appearances since returning to Double-A after a brief promotion to the big leagues, Bard has now thrown strikes on just 34 percent of his pitches. He’s walked 13 in 3 2/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill