Agent: Reliever Joel Hanrahan undergoes Tommy John in addition to flexor surgery
|05.16.13 at 8:04 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — While Joel Hanrahan had hoped that he would only require surgery to repair his torn flexor tendon, Dr. James Andrews also performed Tommy John surgery and removed bone spurs from the 31-year-old’s right elbow, according to Mike Dillon, one of Hanrahan’s agents at Reynolds Sports Management. Dillon tweeted news of the multifarious procedure on Thursday night.
Hanrahan, acquired in a trade with the Pirates in December, made just nine appearances for the Sox, going 0-1 with a 9.82 ERA in 7 1/3 innings. He is eligible for free agency this offseason.
Andrews told Hanrahan that he’ll require an estimated 12 months of rehab.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals