Agent: Reliever Joel Hanrahan undergoes Tommy John in addition to flexor surgery
|05.16.13 at 8:04 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — While Joel Hanrahan had hoped that he would only require surgery to repair his torn flexor tendon, Dr. James Andrews also performed Tommy John surgery and removed bone spurs from the 31-year-old’s right elbow, according to Mike Dillon, one of Hanrahan’s agents at Reynolds Sports Management. Dillon tweeted news of the multifarious procedure on Thursday night.
Hanrahan, acquired in a trade with the Pirates in December, made just nine appearances for the Sox, going 0-1 with a 9.82 ERA in 7 1/3 innings. He is eligible for free agency this offseason.
Andrews told Hanrahan that he’ll require an estimated 12 months of rehab.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates