Agent: Reliever Joel Hanrahan undergoes Tommy John in addition to flexor surgery
|05.16.13 at 8:04 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — While Joel Hanrahan had hoped that he would only require surgery to repair his torn flexor tendon, Dr. James Andrews also performed Tommy John surgery and removed bone spurs from the 31-year-old’s right elbow, according to Mike Dillon, one of Hanrahan’s agents at Reynolds Sports Management. Dillon tweeted news of the multifarious procedure on Thursday night.
Hanrahan, acquired in a trade with the Pirates in December, made just nine appearances for the Sox, going 0-1 with a 9.82 ERA in 7 1/3 innings. He is eligible for free agency this offseason.
Andrews told Hanrahan that he’ll require an estimated 12 months of rehab.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants