Agent: Reliever Joel Hanrahan undergoes Tommy John in addition to flexor surgery
|05.16.13 at 8:04 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — While Joel Hanrahan had hoped that he would only require surgery to repair his torn flexor tendon, Dr. James Andrews also performed Tommy John surgery and removed bone spurs from the 31-year-old’s right elbow, according to Mike Dillon, one of Hanrahan’s agents at Reynolds Sports Management. Dillon tweeted news of the multifarious procedure on Thursday night.
Hanrahan, acquired in a trade with the Pirates in December, made just nine appearances for the Sox, going 0-1 with a 9.82 ERA in 7 1/3 innings. He is eligible for free agency this offseason.
Andrews told Hanrahan that he’ll require an estimated 12 months of rehab.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Travis, Owens continue hot stretches
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview