Agent: Reliever Joel Hanrahan undergoes Tommy John in addition to flexor surgery
|05.16.13 at 8:04 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — While Joel Hanrahan had hoped that he would only require surgery to repair his torn flexor tendon, Dr. James Andrews also performed Tommy John surgery and removed bone spurs from the 31-year-old’s right elbow, according to Mike Dillon, one of Hanrahan’s agents at Reynolds Sports Management. Dillon tweeted news of the multifarious procedure on Thursday night.
Hanrahan, acquired in a trade with the Pirates in December, made just nine appearances for the Sox, going 0-1 with a 9.82 ERA in 7 1/3 innings. He is eligible for free agency this offseason.
Andrews told Hanrahan that he’ll require an estimated 12 months of rehab.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.