Andrew Bailey to make Triple-A appearance before Monday return
|05.16.13 at 4:07 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Reliever Andrew Bailey threw for a simulated inning on Thursday afternoon, facing teammates Mike Carp and Ryan Lavarnway, and he will pitch one game at Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday in advance of his activation from the disabled list on Monday when the Red Sox meet the White Sox in Chicago.
Bailey has been on the disabled list since April 29 with a biceps strain. He is 1-0 with five saves and a 1.46 ERA in 13 appearances this season. Bailey suggested that he missed just enough time (he hasn’t pitched in a big league game in 19 days) to justify a quick rehab assignment before he rejoins the big league club as its closer.
“Missing time sucks, but I’m fine, so like I said, it’s kind of getting into a game and facing live hitters and see where that goes and making sure you’re able to execute pitches when you need to,” said Bailey. “I missed enough time to warrant at least one inning of just getting sharp like that,” said Bailey. “Everything feels great. Getting back baseball-wise, we just agreed to go one inning, and I’ll be fine. I felt confident throwing out there and being able to get outs in the big leagues. Just the routine of getting up and coming in a game and making sure everything is sharp enough to pitch here is the priority right now.”
Bailey suggested that, physically, he has no questions about his readiness.
“Everything feels great. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully we won’t have to cross this bridge again,” he said.
For more Red Sox news, check out weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs