Andrew Bailey to make Triple-A appearance before Monday return
|05.16.13 at 4:07 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Reliever Andrew Bailey threw for a simulated inning on Thursday afternoon, facing teammates Mike Carp and Ryan Lavarnway, and he will pitch one game at Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday in advance of his activation from the disabled list on Monday when the Red Sox meet the White Sox in Chicago.
Bailey has been on the disabled list since April 29 with a biceps strain. He is 1-0 with five saves and a 1.46 ERA in 13 appearances this season. Bailey suggested that he missed just enough time (he hasn’t pitched in a big league game in 19 days) to justify a quick rehab assignment before he rejoins the big league club as its closer.
“Missing time sucks, but I’m fine, so like I said, it’s kind of getting into a game and facing live hitters and see where that goes and making sure you’re able to execute pitches when you need to,” said Bailey. “I missed enough time to warrant at least one inning of just getting sharp like that,” said Bailey. “Everything feels great. Getting back baseball-wise, we just agreed to go one inning, and I’ll be fine. I felt confident throwing out there and being able to get outs in the big leagues. Just the routine of getting up and coming in a game and making sure everything is sharp enough to pitch here is the priority right now.”
Bailey suggested that, physically, he has no questions about his readiness.
“Everything feels great. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully we won’t have to cross this bridge again,” he said.
For more Red Sox news, check out weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday