Should the conversation start regarding Dustin Pedroia playing 162 games?
|05.19.13 at 3:02 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS ‘ There have been six occasions where a Red Sox players has played in every single one of his team’s regular season games since the schedule was expanded to 162 game — Jim Rice (1978), Bill Buckner (‘85), George Scott (‘66), Carl Yastrzemski (‘69) and Dwight Evans, who did it both in ‘82 and ‘84.
Could Dustin Pedroia be next? He is, after all, the last man standing on the Red Sox who has played in every one of the team’s games this season after the only other candidate, Jacoby Ellsbury, received Sunday off.
‘I don’t have goals,’ Pedroia reminded. ‘I’m just trying to play today. I’ll worry about tomorrow if we wake up. Day by day by day by day. That’s it.’
Pedroia has come close before, playing in 159 games in ‘11. It is, however, traditionally an elusive feat for many in baseball with managers attempting to counteract the wear and tear that comes with this day and age of baseball.
‘Pedey will fight that one tooth and nail,’ said Red Sox manager regarding the possibility of sitting Pedroia down for a day. ‘He’s the last man standing right now,and that’s probably the way he likes it.
‘If it comes to that, he and I will set down and talk. As well as he’s playing, as good as he feels, as headstrong as he can be with not wanting to come out, all that is taken into account. ‘¦ Pedey is the heartbeat of this team, and you don’t want to cutout the heart.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa