Should the conversation start regarding Dustin Pedroia playing 162 games?
|05.19.13 at 3:02 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS ‘ There have been six occasions where a Red Sox players has played in every single one of his team’s regular season games since the schedule was expanded to 162 game — Jim Rice (1978), Bill Buckner (‘85), George Scott (‘66), Carl Yastrzemski (‘69) and Dwight Evans, who did it both in ‘82 and ‘84.
Could Dustin Pedroia be next? He is, after all, the last man standing on the Red Sox who has played in every one of the team’s games this season after the only other candidate, Jacoby Ellsbury, received Sunday off.
‘I don’t have goals,’ Pedroia reminded. ‘I’m just trying to play today. I’ll worry about tomorrow if we wake up. Day by day by day by day. That’s it.’
Pedroia has come close before, playing in 159 games in ‘11. It is, however, traditionally an elusive feat for many in baseball with managers attempting to counteract the wear and tear that comes with this day and age of baseball.
‘Pedey will fight that one tooth and nail,’ said Red Sox manager regarding the possibility of sitting Pedroia down for a day. ‘He’s the last man standing right now,and that’s probably the way he likes it.
‘If it comes to that, he and I will set down and talk. As well as he’s playing, as good as he feels, as headstrong as he can be with not wanting to come out, all that is taken into account. ‘¦ Pedey is the heartbeat of this team, and you don’t want to cutout the heart.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza ties Drive K record in dominant outing
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts