Should the conversation start regarding Dustin Pedroia playing 162 games?
|05.19.13 at 3:02 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS ‘ There have been six occasions where a Red Sox players has played in every single one of his team’s regular season games since the schedule was expanded to 162 game — Jim Rice (1978), Bill Buckner (‘85), George Scott (‘66), Carl Yastrzemski (‘69) and Dwight Evans, who did it both in ‘82 and ‘84.
Could Dustin Pedroia be next? He is, after all, the last man standing on the Red Sox who has played in every one of the team’s games this season after the only other candidate, Jacoby Ellsbury, received Sunday off.
‘I don’t have goals,’ Pedroia reminded. ‘I’m just trying to play today. I’ll worry about tomorrow if we wake up. Day by day by day by day. That’s it.’
Pedroia has come close before, playing in 159 games in ‘11. It is, however, traditionally an elusive feat for many in baseball with managers attempting to counteract the wear and tear that comes with this day and age of baseball.
‘Pedey will fight that one tooth and nail,’ said Red Sox manager regarding the possibility of sitting Pedroia down for a day. ‘He’s the last man standing right now,and that’s probably the way he likes it.
‘If it comes to that, he and I will set down and talk. As well as he’s playing, as good as he feels, as headstrong as he can be with not wanting to come out, all that is taken into account. ‘¦ Pedey is the heartbeat of this team, and you don’t want to cutout the heart.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg