Should the conversation start regarding Dustin Pedroia playing 162 games?
|05.19.13 at 3:02 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS ‘ There have been six occasions where a Red Sox players has played in every single one of his team’s regular season games since the schedule was expanded to 162 game — Jim Rice (1978), Bill Buckner (‘85), George Scott (‘66), Carl Yastrzemski (‘69) and Dwight Evans, who did it both in ‘82 and ‘84.
Could Dustin Pedroia be next? He is, after all, the last man standing on the Red Sox who has played in every one of the team’s games this season after the only other candidate, Jacoby Ellsbury, received Sunday off.
‘I don’t have goals,’ Pedroia reminded. ‘I’m just trying to play today. I’ll worry about tomorrow if we wake up. Day by day by day by day. That’s it.’
Pedroia has come close before, playing in 159 games in ‘11. It is, however, traditionally an elusive feat for many in baseball with managers attempting to counteract the wear and tear that comes with this day and age of baseball.
‘Pedey will fight that one tooth and nail,’ said Red Sox manager regarding the possibility of sitting Pedroia down for a day. ‘He’s the last man standing right now,and that’s probably the way he likes it.
‘If it comes to that, he and I will set down and talk. As well as he’s playing, as good as he feels, as headstrong as he can be with not wanting to come out, all that is taken into account. ‘¦ Pedey is the heartbeat of this team, and you don’t want to cutout the heart.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo