Red Sox activate Andrew Bailey, send Jose De La Torre to Pawtucket
|05.20.13 at 4:06 pm ET|
In a confirmation of what they’d been suggesting for several days, the Red Sox announced that right-hander Andrew Bailey has been activated from the 15-day disabled list. To clear a spot on the big league roster for the closer, right-hander Jose De La Torre was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket following Sunday’s game against the Twins.
Bailey was placed on the DL on May 6 (retroactive to April 29) due to a right biceps strain. Prior to the injury, he’d been dominant en route to a 1-0 record, five saves, a 1.46 ERA and 20 strikeouts in 12 1/3 innings. The 28-year-old struck out two batters and allowed one run in one inning during a rehab appearance with Pawtucket on Saturday.
De La Torre, who was called up on May 9, made the first two big league appearances of his career. The 27-year-old gave up two runs in two innings and struck out a pair. The 27-year-old has appeared in 10 games for Pawtucket this season, all out of the bullpen, going 1-0 with one save, a 1.56 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 17 1/3 innings.
For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash