Red Sox activate Andrew Bailey, send Jose De La Torre to Pawtucket
|05.20.13 at 4:06 pm ET|
In a confirmation of what they’d been suggesting for several days, the Red Sox announced that right-hander Andrew Bailey has been activated from the 15-day disabled list. To clear a spot on the big league roster for the closer, right-hander Jose De La Torre was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket following Sunday’s game against the Twins.
Bailey was placed on the DL on May 6 (retroactive to April 29) due to a right biceps strain. Prior to the injury, he’d been dominant en route to a 1-0 record, five saves, a 1.46 ERA and 20 strikeouts in 12 1/3 innings. The 28-year-old struck out two batters and allowed one run in one inning during a rehab appearance with Pawtucket on Saturday.
De La Torre, who was called up on May 9, made the first two big league appearances of his career. The 27-year-old gave up two runs in two innings and struck out a pair. The 27-year-old has appeared in 10 games for Pawtucket this season, all out of the bullpen, going 1-0 with one save, a 1.56 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 17 1/3 innings.
For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington