Rubby De La Rosa scratched due to intercostal injury
|05.21.13 at 12:29 pm ET|
PAWTUCKET — Red Sox right-hander Rubby De La Rosa was scratched from his scheduled start on Tuesday in Triple-A Pawtucket due to what manager Gary DiSarcina characterized as a left intercostal injury incurred while playing catch on Monday. DiSarcina suggested that the injury did not appear to be serious, but noted that the precise duration for which the hard-throwing prospect will be sidelined remains unknown. Yeah, he came up yesterday, with’¦he played catch and on the last throw he kind of tweaked his side muscles, so he’ll be down today, Hernandez will fill in.
“He’s feeling better today, to what level or degree, I don’t know. It just happened yesterday, I think he said it happened on his last throw. Any time a pitcher feels something in his intercostal area, you don’t want to send him out there. I think it was on his left side, actually, so his pull side,” said DiSarcina. “It’s no biggie, just sit him down for this start, reevaluate him … It won’t set back Rubby too much.”
Left-hander Chris Hernandez will make the spot start in place of De La Rosa. De La Rosa, 24, is amidst a stretch of 18 innings without permitting an earned run, a stretch during which he has 22 strikeouts and eight walks. On the year, he has a 3.65 ERA with opponents hitting just .180 against him in eight starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles