Rubby De La Rosa scratched due to intercostal injury
|05.21.13 at 12:29 pm ET|
PAWTUCKET — Red Sox right-hander Rubby De La Rosa was scratched from his scheduled start on Tuesday in Triple-A Pawtucket due to what manager Gary DiSarcina characterized as a left intercostal injury incurred while playing catch on Monday. DiSarcina suggested that the injury did not appear to be serious, but noted that the precise duration for which the hard-throwing prospect will be sidelined remains unknown. Yeah, he came up yesterday, with’¦he played catch and on the last throw he kind of tweaked his side muscles, so he’ll be down today, Hernandez will fill in.
“He’s feeling better today, to what level or degree, I don’t know. It just happened yesterday, I think he said it happened on his last throw. Any time a pitcher feels something in his intercostal area, you don’t want to send him out there. I think it was on his left side, actually, so his pull side,” said DiSarcina. “It’s no biggie, just sit him down for this start, reevaluate him … It won’t set back Rubby too much.”
Left-hander Chris Hernandez will make the spot start in place of De La Rosa. De La Rosa, 24, is amidst a stretch of 18 innings without permitting an earned run, a stretch during which he has 22 strikeouts and eight walks. On the year, he has a 3.65 ERA with opponents hitting just .180 against him in eight starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th