Will Middlebrooks leaves game with lower back spasms
|05.23.13 at 9:17 pm ET|
Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks was replaced by Pedro Ciriaco prior to the top of the fifth inning with what the Red Sox described as lower back spasms. Middlebrooks had been 0-for-2 with a pair of strikeouts on Thursday.
The 24-year-old has been dealing with discomfort as a result of a separation of his ribs from the cartilage connecting them to the sternum earlier this month as a result of a collision with catcher David Ross, but the suggestion of back spasms represents a new malady. In his last three games (including Thursday), he’s 0-for-10 with one walk and five strikeouts, bringing his line for the season to a .201 average, .234 OBP and .408 slugging mark.
More on the situation as information becomes available.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #62: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Trade Deadline
- Red Sox recall Betts and Wilson; Carp designated for assignment; Travis promoted to Greenville
- Report: Owens promoted to Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Betts hits walk-off homer in day one of post-Lester era
- ESPNBoston: SoxProspects covering the Trade Deadline
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL