Kevin Millar on M&M: ‘That was a very, very low blow to David Ortiz from Dan Shaughnessy’
|05.24.13 at 12:47 pm ET|
MLB Network analyst Kevin Millar checked in with Mut & Merloni on Friday to talk about the Red Sox, who dropped a 12-3 decision to the Indians on Thursday night.
One of the topics Millar discussed was the recent controversy involving David Ortiz, who fielded questions about performance-enhancing drugs from Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy.
“That was a very, very low blow to David Ortiz from Dan Shaughnessy,” Millar said. “You can’t just throw out stuff. I know he’s got a job to do and create some story and everybody’s going to buy papers and Dan Shaughnessy got his name in the paper, and he does a good job at what he does. But let’s get something straight: This is one of the good guys in the game. Let’s stop with, if you have a bad year you’re off the juice; if you have a good year you’re on the juice.
“David Ortiz takes tests just like everybody else. He’s negative in his tests. So why do we have the audacity to throw this man’s name on Front Street because he came in after an injury and is on fire. That’s disturbing to me. That’s not fair. That’s why players put up a huge shield now to the media. That’s why at certain times players are jerks. Because you just can’t trust anybody.”
Added Millar: “David Ortiz is one of the good guys. ‘¦ He’s a happy young man. And to go ahead and throw a dark cloud over him during a hitting streak and all of this success, it doesn’t make sense to me. There’s too much hate in this world.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando