Kevin Millar on M&M: ‘That was a very, very low blow to David Ortiz from Dan Shaughnessy’
|05.24.13 at 12:47 pm ET|
MLB Network analyst Kevin Millar checked in with Mut & Merloni on Friday to talk about the Red Sox, who dropped a 12-3 decision to the Indians on Thursday night.
One of the topics Millar discussed was the recent controversy involving David Ortiz, who fielded questions about performance-enhancing drugs from Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy.
“That was a very, very low blow to David Ortiz from Dan Shaughnessy,” Millar said. “You can’t just throw out stuff. I know he’s got a job to do and create some story and everybody’s going to buy papers and Dan Shaughnessy got his name in the paper, and he does a good job at what he does. But let’s get something straight: This is one of the good guys in the game. Let’s stop with, if you have a bad year you’re off the juice; if you have a good year you’re on the juice.
“David Ortiz takes tests just like everybody else. He’s negative in his tests. So why do we have the audacity to throw this man’s name on Front Street because he came in after an injury and is on fire. That’s disturbing to me. That’s not fair. That’s why players put up a huge shield now to the media. That’s why at certain times players are jerks. Because you just can’t trust anybody.”
Added Millar: “David Ortiz is one of the good guys. ‘¦ He’s a happy young man. And to go ahead and throw a dark cloud over him during a hitting streak and all of this success, it doesn’t make sense to me. There’s too much hate in this world.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Top prospects on the move
- Cup of Coffee: Salem, Greenville bullpens fall apart, Pawtucket wins in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Margot homers in Hadlock debut
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon, Miller shine in Salem debuts
- Notes from the Field: Margot's Double-A debut and more
- Cup of Coffee: Portland welcomes new call-ups, Moncada has big night
- Dubon promoted to Salem, Jerez to Portland in series of roster moves
- Devers, Margot named to Futures Game roster
- Report: Marrero, Aro, Bradley up to Boston
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson sharp again, Espinoza debuts for GCL Sox