Will Middlebrooks on back injury: ‘I had to do something about it’
|05.25.13 at 9:37 pm ET|
Will Middlebrooks, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a sore lower back, said Saturday that he is confident he will be ready to return when his DL date is done.
‘It’s better today that it was yesterday,’ Middlebrooks said. ‘If I’m already making steps forward then that’s where I want to be.’
The third baseman explained that he first aggravated his back during the Red Sox‘ series in Chicago, and then had it worsen during Thursday night’s game against Cleveland.
Middlebrooks was taken out of the series opener after two at-bats. He was hitless in his previous 11 at-bats before exiting Thursday.
‘I tried to get it loose, but it was just tight and wouldn’t loosen up,’ he said. ‘I tried to play anyway, which was probably a no-no on my part. I just wanted to get out there and try to play and it just got worse.’
Middlebrooks added regarding his current state, ‘I’m pretty stiff right now. Pretty sore. It’s been a tough past few days. I was trying to play through it for a couple of days and it just wasn’t happening. I had to do something about it.’
Middlebrooks, who has also been battling sore ribs, has totaled an identical .642 OPS in both April and May. Jose Iglesias started at third base Friday, with Pedro Ciriaco getting the call Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen