Will Middlebrooks on back injury: ‘I had to do something about it’
|05.25.13 at 9:37 pm ET|
Will Middlebrooks, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a sore lower back, said Saturday that he is confident he will be ready to return when his DL date is done.
‘It’s better today that it was yesterday,’ Middlebrooks said. ‘If I’m already making steps forward then that’s where I want to be.’
The third baseman explained that he first aggravated his back during the Red Sox‘ series in Chicago, and then had it worsen during Thursday night’s game against Cleveland.
Middlebrooks was taken out of the series opener after two at-bats. He was hitless in his previous 11 at-bats before exiting Thursday.
‘I tried to get it loose, but it was just tight and wouldn’t loosen up,’ he said. ‘I tried to play anyway, which was probably a no-no on my part. I just wanted to get out there and try to play and it just got worse.’
Middlebrooks added regarding his current state, ‘I’m pretty stiff right now. Pretty sore. It’s been a tough past few days. I was trying to play through it for a couple of days and it just wasn’t happening. I had to do something about it.’
Middlebrooks, who has also been battling sore ribs, has totaled an identical .642 OPS in both April and May. Jose Iglesias started at third base Friday, with Pedro Ciriaco getting the call Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?