Will Middlebrooks on back injury: ‘I had to do something about it’
|05.25.13 at 9:37 pm ET|
Will Middlebrooks, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a sore lower back, said Saturday that he is confident he will be ready to return when his DL date is done.
‘It’s better today that it was yesterday,’ Middlebrooks said. ‘If I’m already making steps forward then that’s where I want to be.’
The third baseman explained that he first aggravated his back during the Red Sox‘ series in Chicago, and then had it worsen during Thursday night’s game against Cleveland.
Middlebrooks was taken out of the series opener after two at-bats. He was hitless in his previous 11 at-bats before exiting Thursday.
‘I tried to get it loose, but it was just tight and wouldn’t loosen up,’ he said. ‘I tried to play anyway, which was probably a no-no on my part. I just wanted to get out there and try to play and it just got worse.’
Middlebrooks added regarding his current state, ‘I’m pretty stiff right now. Pretty sore. It’s been a tough past few days. I was trying to play through it for a couple of days and it just wasn’t happening. I had to do something about it.’
Middlebrooks, who has also been battling sore ribs, has totaled an identical .642 OPS in both April and May. Jose Iglesias started at third base Friday, with Pedro Ciriaco getting the call Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem