Will Middlebrooks on back injury: ‘I had to do something about it’
|05.25.13 at 9:37 pm ET|
Will Middlebrooks, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a sore lower back, said Saturday that he is confident he will be ready to return when his DL date is done.
‘It’s better today that it was yesterday,’ Middlebrooks said. ‘If I’m already making steps forward then that’s where I want to be.’
The third baseman explained that he first aggravated his back during the Red Sox‘ series in Chicago, and then had it worsen during Thursday night’s game against Cleveland.
Middlebrooks was taken out of the series opener after two at-bats. He was hitless in his previous 11 at-bats before exiting Thursday.
‘I tried to get it loose, but it was just tight and wouldn’t loosen up,’ he said. ‘I tried to play anyway, which was probably a no-no on my part. I just wanted to get out there and try to play and it just got worse.’
Middlebrooks added regarding his current state, ‘I’m pretty stiff right now. Pretty sore. It’s been a tough past few days. I was trying to play through it for a couple of days and it just wasn’t happening. I had to do something about it.’
Middlebrooks, who has also been battling sore ribs, has totaled an identical .642 OPS in both April and May. Jose Iglesias started at third base Friday, with Pedro Ciriaco getting the call Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo
- 2015 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule take shape
- Red Sox announce trio of front office moves