Clay Buchholz to miss start; Alfredo Aceves gets the call
|05.26.13 at 6:26 pm ET|
Clay Buchholz will miss his scheduled start Monday due to irritation in his right AC joint on top of his right shoulder. Alfredo Aceves will take the place of Buchholz, who still may make a start later in the week.
Buchholz explained that he believed the cause of the issue stemmed from sleeping awkwardly upon returning home from the Red Sox‘ recent road trip.
‘Trip that night, woke up the next morning and woke up laying on my right side which I usually don’t, I usually sleep on my back,’ he said. ‘I had the little daughter in bed with us, so. Woke up didn’t feel quite right, came over here and threw and played catch and everything and it was alright. The more I threw the less I felt it.
‘Being as early in the season as it is I want to make sure I’m 100 percent every time I go out there rather than 80-85 percent, risk having this be something that’s going to linger. I just want to cut it right now and hopefully a couple more days, two three days I’ll be back where I was at.’
Buchholz did throw his regularly scheduled bullpen Saturday, experiencing some discomfort. The righty said missing the start against the Phillies was his decision.
‘It’s nothing, I mean it doesn’t make me alter my delivery at all,’ Buchholz said. ‘It’s just something that’s there, and doctors have all said that I can go out and throw. I’m not going to hurt anything. Just that joint, where it’s at, it has a little bit of cartilage. Irritated the cartilage by sort of laying on it.
‘I want to be out there every day. I don’t think I would be doing the team justice if I’m not 100 percent.’
Aceves had made four starts with Triple-A Pawtucket before being called up to the Red Sox Friday. He started three games with the Sox, totaling an 8.10 ERA over 13 1/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again