Will Middlebrooks remaining in Pawtucket … for now
|06.05.13 at 8:31 pm ET|
Boston Red Sox third basemen Will Middlebrooks kicked off his rehab assignment Tuesday night in Pawtucket and although he is eligible to return to Boston Saturday, it is unclear if he will do so right away. Manager John Farrell did not offer a set timeline for his return, rather hinting that Middlebrooks may remain in Pawtucket to gain some offensive momentum before returning to Boston.
Prior to the Red Sox’ game with the Rangers Wednesday night, Farrell told the media, “This is not only a chance to make sure his health issue is behind him, which everything points to that being the case, but also to use this as an opportunity to get some momentum going before he gets back. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.”
While the Red Sox offense has been productive as of late, Farrell stressed the importance of Will Middlebrooks’ right-handed bat returning to the lineup to balance out the lefty-heavy presence. Farrell added, “[Middlebrooks] is a vital part of that.”
Middlebrooks was hitting just .201 before going on the disabled list, but was having more consistent and positive at-bats before his injury. “When he sees the ball deeper in the zone and drives it the other way,” Farrell said, “that’s when he’s at his best, and that was starting to happen.”
In the first game of his rehab assignment, Middlebrooks was 1-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout. However, Farrell said that a promotion to Boston won’t be based off on batting average or numbers. “If Will goes down and is just being Will Middlebrooks,” the manger, “he’ll find his way back here because that’s the type of player he is.”
Jose Iglesias‘ recent offensive surge since being called up has provided the Red Sox with offensive production from the third base position, however Farrell indicated that Iglesias’ success won’t play a factor in Middlebrooks’ return. “I wouldn’t say this is predicated just on what Jose is doing,” he said. “What’s best for Will is best for us. He [Will] is our third basemen.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players