Red Sox tab athletic outfielder Forrestt Allday in eighth round
|06.07.13 at 10:24 pm ET|
With their eighth-round selection, the Red Sox took an athletic senior outfielder out of the University of Central Arkansas, senior Forrestt Allday. Allday hit .365 with a .503 OBP (fifth best in the country), .472 slugging mark, three homers and 15 steals in 2013. In a press release, Central Arkansas coach Allen Gum raved about his player.
“I’m just so happy for Forrestt. It just shows that good things come to those that work hard,” said Gum. ‘His name fits him, no question… Allday, everyday. He got better in every phase of the game. He increased his power, increased his speed, increased his arm. It’s great to see him recognized because he’s a tremendous baseball player. We were blessed and fortunate to have him as a part of our program.”
As a college senior, Forrestt represents a player who is likely ready to accept a below-slot bonus. Perhaps he can use some of it to recoup the costs associated with the shopping trip that became necessary after the draft.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday