Manuel Margot to open summer season with Lowell Spinners
|06.09.13 at 2:10 pm ET|
One of the most dynamic prospects in the Red Sox system, Manuel Margot, will play for the Short-Season Single-A Lowell Spinners to start this summer, according to multiple team sources. The organization had given some thought to letting the 18-year-old open this year at the very advanced level (for his age) of full-season Single-A Greenville, just as Xander Bogaerts did in 2011. Instead, the decision was made for him to open this year in Lowell, though the possibility of advancing to Greenville during the season certainly exists.
Margot likely represents the Red Sox prospect with what can most accurately be described as a five-tool skill set. Signed to an $800,000 bonus out of the Dominican in 2011, Margot was one of the top performers last summer in the Dominican Summer League at age 17, hitting .285/.382/.423 with four homers, 21 extra-base hits and 33 steals in 42 attempts. He finished third in the league in steals and was one of four DSL players to hit four homers in his age 17 season. (To put Margot’s power numbers in context, it’s worth noting that as a 17-year-old in the DSL, current Sox top prospect Xander Bogaerts had three homers and 15 extra-base hits in 63 games.) He can also fly and is extremely aggressive on the bases, often turning what appear to be line drive singles a few steps to either side of an outfielder into doubles.
“He’s got a pretty interesting tool set at a young age,” farm director Ben Crockett suggested last fall. “He’s got a short, compact swing, he can run, defensively he’s been pretty impressive in center field and he’s got a pretty good feel for the strike zone.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo