Red Sox working to determine if Clay Buchholz will start on Sunday or Tuesday
|06.12.13 at 8:23 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Manager John Farrell said that the Red Sox are still working to make a determination about whether Clay Buchholz — who had a throwing session at Tropicana Field on Wednesday afternoon — will be able to start the series finale against the Orioles on Sunday, or if he will be pushed back further to next Tuesday. Buchholz (9-0, 1.71), who leads the American League in wins and ERA, has been dealing with soreness in his trapezius muscle since he made an awkward throw to first base during his start last Saturday.
The Sox are already reconciled to pushing his start back from Friday to Sunday, but the team remains open to giving Buchholz two extra days if needed. If Buchholz is pushed back, then Jon Lester — currently slated to start on six days’ rest against the Rays on Tuesday — would start on Sunday on four days’ rest.
‘He threw the ball OK. I think he still felt a little bit of stiffness but he improved over the last time he had a ball in his hands, with 48 hours of no throw,” said Farrell. “We’ve got to factor in what takes place [Wednesday] and [Thursday] for preparing through the rotation through Baltimore. We have options. Obviously we can bring Jon back on Sunday and push Clay back to next Tuesday. If there’s not marked improvement by [Thursday], we may be looking to do just that.’
Farrell said that the team will have to make a determination about whether Lester or Buchholz will start no later than 1 p.m. on Thursday to ensure that whomever starts on Sunday will have an opportunity to prepare for the start properly. Farrell reiterated that Buchholz will only start if he’s completely symptom-free.
While Lester would be able to slot into starting on Sunday, Farrell acknowledged that he’s at the point in the season where he’d like to find extra days of rest for the left-hander, though he noted that the team has the next three Mondays off, which should allow extra rest to be incorporated into his rotation’s schedule.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller