David Ortiz says he is ‘done with’ Home Run Derby
|06.13.13 at 8:00 am ET|
But, evidently, Ortiz is drawing the line regarding the pair’s friendship.
After Cano and Mets David Wright were named captains for the American League and National League, respectively, in this year’s Home Run Derby, Ortiz cut any conversation regarding his participation in the event off at the pass.
‘If he asks me to do it? I wouldn’t do it. I’m done with that,’ Ortiz told WEEI.com prior to the Red Sox‘ Wednesday night win over the Rays. ‘I can’t do it no more. I can’t even do it in batting practice. Watch me in batting practice, I might lose a couple of balls but that’s it. I can’t do it. It wears me out. Wears me out. And you know the Home Run Derby can be taken lightly. You have to be young with a lot of energy.’
Ortiz hasn’t participated in the event since ‘11, when he captained the American League’s four-player squad. (He was, however, an active observer during last season’s Home Run Derby, as was evidenced by video taken from a WEEI.com camera affixed to the slugger’s hat.)
Ortiz won the ‘10 Home Run Derby, having participated in the event six times.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot