David Ortiz says he is ‘done with’ Home Run Derby
|06.13.13 at 8:00 am ET|
But, evidently, Ortiz is drawing the line regarding the pair’s friendship.
After Cano and Mets David Wright were named captains for the American League and National League, respectively, in this year’s Home Run Derby, Ortiz cut any conversation regarding his participation in the event off at the pass.
‘If he asks me to do it? I wouldn’t do it. I’m done with that,’ Ortiz told WEEI.com prior to the Red Sox‘ Wednesday night win over the Rays. ‘I can’t do it no more. I can’t even do it in batting practice. Watch me in batting practice, I might lose a couple of balls but that’s it. I can’t do it. It wears me out. Wears me out. And you know the Home Run Derby can be taken lightly. You have to be young with a lot of energy.’
Ortiz hasn’t participated in the event since ‘11, when he captained the American League’s four-player squad. (He was, however, an active observer during last season’s Home Run Derby, as was evidenced by video taken from a WEEI.com camera affixed to the slugger’s hat.)
Ortiz won the ‘10 Home Run Derby, having participated in the event six times.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando