David Ortiz says he is ‘done with’ Home Run Derby
|06.13.13 at 8:00 am ET|
But, evidently, Ortiz is drawing the line regarding the pair’s friendship.
After Cano and Mets David Wright were named captains for the American League and National League, respectively, in this year’s Home Run Derby, Ortiz cut any conversation regarding his participation in the event off at the pass.
‘If he asks me to do it? I wouldn’t do it. I’m done with that,’ Ortiz told WEEI.com prior to the Red Sox‘ Wednesday night win over the Rays. ‘I can’t do it no more. I can’t even do it in batting practice. Watch me in batting practice, I might lose a couple of balls but that’s it. I can’t do it. It wears me out. Wears me out. And you know the Home Run Derby can be taken lightly. You have to be young with a lot of energy.’
Ortiz hasn’t participated in the event since ‘11, when he captained the American League’s four-player squad. (He was, however, an active observer during last season’s Home Run Derby, as was evidenced by video taken from a WEEI.com camera affixed to the slugger’s hat.)
Ortiz won the ‘10 Home Run Derby, having participated in the event six times.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston