Secret to Alfredo Aceves success? He stopped shaking off his catcher
|06.13.13 at 12:09 am ET|
His stuff was good. His command continued to improve. And he was going up against a team in Tampa Bay whose starting lineup came into the game hitting .075 (3-for-40) against him.
But there might be one secret to Aceves’ success that trumps all else: He hasn’t shaken off his catcher in the last two starts.
‘We have mentioned it from spring training on,’ said Red Sox pitching coach Juan Nieves after the starter’s six-inning outing in which he gave up one run. ‘I’m glad he’s buying into it. We do a lot of work for that. We spend a lot of time on that stuff.
‘That’s nice, especially from him. We’re on the same page. It’s nice.’
Prior to his recent promotion from Triple-A Pawtucket, when he was called upon to go up against Philadelphia, Aceves was known for shaking off seemingly every called pitch from his battery-mate.
But with the emphasis on trusting his catcher ‘ who, in the case of the last two outings, was Jarrod Saltalmacchia ‘ Aceves has bought in.
‘His stuff has been the same. It’s sharp. Maybe the mental approach of just coming in and letting his stuff play,’ Saltlamacchia said. ‘I think that has been the biggest thing. He’s had such great stuff he doesn’t have to over-think it over over-pitch. That’s what he has done the last two outings and pitched great.’
In his recent two spot starts, Aceves gone a combined 12 innings, allowing two runs while striking out seven and walking seven.
He will return to Triple-A Pawtucket to allow for relief help heading into the Baltimore series, but remains a strong candidate to make one of the starts in Tuesday’s day-night doubleheader against Tampa Bay at Fenway Park. (The team can recall Aceves to serve as the extra player allowed each team for doubleheaders.)
‘That’s the way we live,’ said Aceves when asked about being sent back and forth to Pawtucket. ‘That’s the way we live.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers