Friday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Chris Tillman
|06.14.13 at 9:28 am ET|
When the Red Sox take to the field against Chris Tillman and the Orioles at Camden Yards on Friday night, Ryan Dempster will get the ball in search of his third straight win. The right-hander has notched a victory in each of his last two outings, a seven-inning effort vs. the Rangers and then six frames against the Angels.
On the season, Dempster is 4-6 with a 4.40 ERA and 1.33 WHIP, and he has seen an uptick in effectiveness of late. He has pitched three consecutive quality starts, with his May 28 game vs. the Phillies (seven innings, two runs) preceding the Rangers and Angels contests.
He acknowledged his high home run rate (14 long balls in 13 games) earlier this week, but said as long as they are of the solo variety it doesn’t bother him too much. Those things happen when he pitches to contact, which he often does with a strong offense behind him.
His last time out, Dempster gave up three runs on two walks and six hits, including two homers, against the Angels. He also fanned six to reach the 2,000-strikeout plateau for his career.
‘The biggest thing is the longevity to be around long enough to get to something like that,’ Dempster said after the game. ‘I’m sure when I’m done playing I’ll look back and maybe enjoy it a little more, but it is cool. I never play the game for stats, I play to win, but when you look back, that’s a lot of strikeouts.”
Tillman (6-2, 3.89 ERA) owns a 3.18 ERA in his last 10 starts dating back to April 22. More recently, the righty rebounded well after a stinker against the Nationals (six earned in 4 2/3) by yielding a combined three earned runs in 13 innings his last two contests.
He has thrown well against the Red Sox in his career, recording a 2.97 ERA in 30 1/3 innings. The Sox most recently plated two runs in Tillman’s 5 1/3 innings of work on April 11.
Few Red Sox have a significant number of at-bats against him. Dustin Pedroia, however, has .841 OPS in 17 at-bats.
Red Sox vs. Tillman (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (17 plate appearances): .357 BA/.412 OBP/.429 SLG, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (10): .100/.100/.200, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (9): .222/.222/.222, 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (8): .286/.375/.286, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (6): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jose Iglesias (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (3): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Will Middlebrooks (3): .000/.000/.000
Shane Victorino (3): .333/.333/.333
Stephen Drew was walked twice in two plate appearances vs. Tillman.
Jonny Gomes and David Ross have not faced Tillman.
Orioles vs. Dempster (RHP)
J.J. Hardy (32 plate appearances): .071/.129/.107, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts
Nate McLouth (28): .273/.429/.500, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 4 walks, five strikeouts
Nick Markakis (7): .333/.429/.833, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Manny Machado (6): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Chris Davis (5): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Adam Jones (5): .600/.600/.600, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Matt Wieters (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 strikeout
Chris Dickerson (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Steve Pearce (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 walk
Ryan Flaherty has struck out twice in two plate appearances vs. Dempster.
Alexi Casilla, Taylor Teagarden and Danny Valencia have not faced Dempster.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins