Clay Buchholz won’t be ready to go for Tuesday start
|06.15.13 at 2:51 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — According to Red Sox manager John Farrell, Clay Buchholz will not throw his scheduled bullpen session Sunday, and is no longer slated to pitch in one of the two games during Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Rays at Fenway Park.
Buchholz, who is still bothered by stiffness in his right trap muscle, may be a candidate for a retroactive disabled list stint if he doesn’t show improvement by early next week. The next potential start for the righty — who last pitched June 8 — would be June 22 in Detroit.
“Clay threw today, feels a little bit better than he did yesterday, but not the point where he’s going to throw a bullpen tomorrow,” Farrell said. “What we do have is the benefit of the off-day where we can keep guys on turn with Felix going on Tuesday, [Ryan] Dempster Wednesday and stay on turn from there. Right now we haven’t announced the other starter for Tuesday.”
The manager added, “There’s not the feeling that physically he can get on the mound tomorrow without the potential of a setback, or irritating the trap muscle he’s feeling it in. The AC joint, what he was experiencing before, that’s cleared up. There’s nothing there. It’s more the trap muscle up near the neck and it’s restricted him from greater intensity.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers