Clay Buchholz won’t be ready to go for Tuesday start
|06.15.13 at 2:51 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — According to Red Sox manager John Farrell, Clay Buchholz will not throw his scheduled bullpen session Sunday, and is no longer slated to pitch in one of the two games during Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Rays at Fenway Park.
Buchholz, who is still bothered by stiffness in his right trap muscle, may be a candidate for a retroactive disabled list stint if he doesn’t show improvement by early next week. The next potential start for the righty — who last pitched June 8 — would be June 22 in Detroit.
“Clay threw today, feels a little bit better than he did yesterday, but not the point where he’s going to throw a bullpen tomorrow,” Farrell said. “What we do have is the benefit of the off-day where we can keep guys on turn with Felix going on Tuesday, [Ryan] Dempster Wednesday and stay on turn from there. Right now we haven’t announced the other starter for Tuesday.”
The manager added, “There’s not the feeling that physically he can get on the mound tomorrow without the potential of a setback, or irritating the trap muscle he’s feeling it in. The AC joint, what he was experiencing before, that’s cleared up. There’s nothing there. It’s more the trap muscle up near the neck and it’s restricted him from greater intensity.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin