Clay Buchholz won’t be ready to go for Tuesday start
|06.15.13 at 2:51 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — According to Red Sox manager John Farrell, Clay Buchholz will not throw his scheduled bullpen session Sunday, and is no longer slated to pitch in one of the two games during Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Rays at Fenway Park.
Buchholz, who is still bothered by stiffness in his right trap muscle, may be a candidate for a retroactive disabled list stint if he doesn’t show improvement by early next week. The next potential start for the righty — who last pitched June 8 — would be June 22 in Detroit.
“Clay threw today, feels a little bit better than he did yesterday, but not the point where he’s going to throw a bullpen tomorrow,” Farrell said. “What we do have is the benefit of the off-day where we can keep guys on turn with Felix going on Tuesday, [Ryan] Dempster Wednesday and stay on turn from there. Right now we haven’t announced the other starter for Tuesday.”
The manager added, “There’s not the feeling that physically he can get on the mound tomorrow without the potential of a setback, or irritating the trap muscle he’s feeling it in. The AC joint, what he was experiencing before, that’s cleared up. There’s nothing there. It’s more the trap muscle up near the neck and it’s restricted him from greater intensity.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins