Clay Buchholz won’t be ready to go for Tuesday start
|06.15.13 at 2:51 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — According to Red Sox manager John Farrell, Clay Buchholz will not throw his scheduled bullpen session Sunday, and is no longer slated to pitch in one of the two games during Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Rays at Fenway Park.
Buchholz, who is still bothered by stiffness in his right trap muscle, may be a candidate for a retroactive disabled list stint if he doesn’t show improvement by early next week. The next potential start for the righty — who last pitched June 8 — would be June 22 in Detroit.
“Clay threw today, feels a little bit better than he did yesterday, but not the point where he’s going to throw a bullpen tomorrow,” Farrell said. “What we do have is the benefit of the off-day where we can keep guys on turn with Felix going on Tuesday, [Ryan] Dempster Wednesday and stay on turn from there. Right now we haven’t announced the other starter for Tuesday.”
The manager added, “There’s not the feeling that physically he can get on the mound tomorrow without the potential of a setback, or irritating the trap muscle he’s feeling it in. The AC joint, what he was experiencing before, that’s cleared up. There’s nothing there. It’s more the trap muscle up near the neck and it’s restricted him from greater intensity.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game