Dustin Pedroia will get his first day off of the season Sunday
|06.15.13 at 8:36 pm ET|
BALTIMORE ‘ The dream of 162 will end Sunday.
Pedroia is the only major-leaguer to have played in 70 games this season, having seen the second-most pitches of any player (1,279) while totaling the third-most plate appearances.
With the stretch of games the Red Sox are on — which has included a pair of 14-inning games on the current road trip ‘ and Monday’s off day, Farrell eyed Sunday as a good time for Pedroia’s first rest of the year.
‘It was to take advantage of the off day to give him two days down,’ Farrell said. ‘Just talking with him and monitoring every day, this day was coming. He’s fatigued right now. I want to give him both days.
‘Given what we’ve come through this stretch , there’s obviously more willingness to do that. He sees the reason for it. Really, physically how he’s feeling, he could use the day.’
Pedroia has been in the field for all but 10 of the Red Sox’ 616 1/3 innings.
After Saturday’s game ‘ in which the second baseman made his first error in 97 games ‘ Pedroia commented on the grind he has been going through.
‘I’ve got to be honest with you, the last four or five games, the ball looks like a baby aspirin coming in,’ said Pedroia, who is just 4-for-24 (.167) on the current road trip.
As for passing on the news regarding the off day, Farrell said by the time Saturday came around there wasn’t much push-back from the player.
‘I kind of gave him the head’s up that this would be ideal three or four days ago, just looking at a potential down-day,’ the manager said. ‘He fought it at first but then as he’s gotten through the weekend here, end of the road trip ‘¦ he’s down tomorrow. ‘
Jose Iglesias will take Pedroia’s place at second base.
Pedroia has never played more than the 159 he totaled in 2011, with Bill Buckner serving as the last Red Sox player to play in all 162 games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division