Mike Napoli still battling illness, sent back to Boston
|06.15.13 at 3:01 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — According to Red Sox manager John Farrell, first baseman Mike Napoli has been sent back to Boston to be examined. Napoli came out of Thursday night’s game due to illness and hasn’t played since.
“While improved he still has some of the grogginess and symptoms he felt the other night,” Farrell said. “As a result we’ve sent him back to Boston to go through an exam and try and get more information with what he’s dealing with.”
Farrell said there were no signs the symptoms could be a result of a concussion, having consulted with head trauma specialist Micky Collins, Ph.D.
As for the particulars of Napoli’s illness, Farrell said there is, “dizziness. There was a feeling of nausea the other night. And we have a virus running through the club. We had a couple of guys throwing up yesterday that still played. We feel like since this has persisted since the other night we want to be sure he’s in a safe place and we can get to the bottom of it.”
As for a potential disabled list stint, Farrell said the team will have to wait and see the results of all tests, which were being administered Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler