Mike Napoli still battling illness, sent back to Boston
|06.15.13 at 3:01 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — According to Red Sox manager John Farrell, first baseman Mike Napoli has been sent back to Boston to be examined. Napoli came out of Thursday night’s game due to illness and hasn’t played since.
“While improved he still has some of the grogginess and symptoms he felt the other night,” Farrell said. “As a result we’ve sent him back to Boston to go through an exam and try and get more information with what he’s dealing with.”
Farrell said there were no signs the symptoms could be a result of a concussion, having consulted with head trauma specialist Micky Collins, Ph.D.
As for the particulars of Napoli’s illness, Farrell said there is, “dizziness. There was a feeling of nausea the other night. And we have a virus running through the club. We had a couple of guys throwing up yesterday that still played. We feel like since this has persisted since the other night we want to be sure he’s in a safe place and we can get to the bottom of it.”
As for a potential disabled list stint, Farrell said the team will have to wait and see the results of all tests, which were being administered Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues