Mike Napoli still battling illness, sent back to Boston
|06.15.13 at 3:01 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — According to Red Sox manager John Farrell, first baseman Mike Napoli has been sent back to Boston to be examined. Napoli came out of Thursday night’s game due to illness and hasn’t played since.
“While improved he still has some of the grogginess and symptoms he felt the other night,” Farrell said. “As a result we’ve sent him back to Boston to go through an exam and try and get more information with what he’s dealing with.”
Farrell said there were no signs the symptoms could be a result of a concussion, having consulted with head trauma specialist Micky Collins, Ph.D.
As for the particulars of Napoli’s illness, Farrell said there is, “dizziness. There was a feeling of nausea the other night. And we have a virus running through the club. We had a couple of guys throwing up yesterday that still played. We feel like since this has persisted since the other night we want to be sure he’s in a safe place and we can get to the bottom of it.”
As for a potential disabled list stint, Farrell said the team will have to wait and see the results of all tests, which were being administered Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins