Mike Napoli still battling illness, sent back to Boston
|06.15.13 at 3:01 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — According to Red Sox manager John Farrell, first baseman Mike Napoli has been sent back to Boston to be examined. Napoli came out of Thursday night’s game due to illness and hasn’t played since.
“While improved he still has some of the grogginess and symptoms he felt the other night,” Farrell said. “As a result we’ve sent him back to Boston to go through an exam and try and get more information with what he’s dealing with.”
Farrell said there were no signs the symptoms could be a result of a concussion, having consulted with head trauma specialist Micky Collins, Ph.D.
As for the particulars of Napoli’s illness, Farrell said there is, “dizziness. There was a feeling of nausea the other night. And we have a virus running through the club. We had a couple of guys throwing up yesterday that still played. We feel like since this has persisted since the other night we want to be sure he’s in a safe place and we can get to the bottom of it.”
As for a potential disabled list stint, Farrell said the team will have to wait and see the results of all tests, which were being administered Saturday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes