Both Mike Carp, Mike Napoli expected to be ready for Tuesday
|06.16.13 at 5:56 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — After the Red Sox‘ 6-3 loss to the Orioles Sunday afternoon at Camden Yards, Sox manager John Farrell surmised that both Mike Carp (hamstring) and Mike Napoli (illness) would be ready to play in time for the team’s day-night doubleheader Tuesday against the Rays at Fenway Park.
Carp was forced to leave Sunday’s game in the seventh inning after feeling tightness in his right hamstring running into third base. The first baseman said he first felt the discomfort running into second on his double. He was replaced by pinch-runner Shane Victorino, who ultimately scored when Will Middlebrooks launched a three-run home run.
“Felt it a little bit and then I hit the line-drive and I had a little concern right there,” said Carp, who heads home hitting .324. “Obviously it was better to come out and not risk doing anything more. I feel pretty confident it will be OK and I’ll get right back in there on Tuesday.”
Carp explained that he had never previously experienced any sort of hamstring injuries, and chalked this setback up to a combination of weather and schedule.
“I’ve never done anything to my legs,” he said. “I don’t really consider myself fast or anything, so hopefully it’s just a cramp. It’s been pretty humid the last couple of days, followed by a day game. I don’t feel too concerned about it. Got the rest of tonight off, tomorrow, almost two full days until we have to pay again. I’m pretty confident I’ll be back in there on Tuesday.”
Farrell reported that Napoli — who hadn’t played since exiting Thursday night’s game due to nausea and dizziness — was doing better after undergoing tests in Boston.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two