Both Mike Carp, Mike Napoli expected to be ready for Tuesday
|06.16.13 at 5:56 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — After the Red Sox‘ 6-3 loss to the Orioles Sunday afternoon at Camden Yards, Sox manager John Farrell surmised that both Mike Carp (hamstring) and Mike Napoli (illness) would be ready to play in time for the team’s day-night doubleheader Tuesday against the Rays at Fenway Park.
Carp was forced to leave Sunday’s game in the seventh inning after feeling tightness in his right hamstring running into third base. The first baseman said he first felt the discomfort running into second on his double. He was replaced by pinch-runner Shane Victorino, who ultimately scored when Will Middlebrooks launched a three-run home run.
“Felt it a little bit and then I hit the line-drive and I had a little concern right there,” said Carp, who heads home hitting .324. “Obviously it was better to come out and not risk doing anything more. I feel pretty confident it will be OK and I’ll get right back in there on Tuesday.”
Carp explained that he had never previously experienced any sort of hamstring injuries, and chalked this setback up to a combination of weather and schedule.
“I’ve never done anything to my legs,” he said. “I don’t really consider myself fast or anything, so hopefully it’s just a cramp. It’s been pretty humid the last couple of days, followed by a day game. I don’t feel too concerned about it. Got the rest of tonight off, tomorrow, almost two full days until we have to pay again. I’m pretty confident I’ll be back in there on Tuesday.”
Farrell reported that Napoli — who hadn’t played since exiting Thursday night’s game due to nausea and dizziness — was doing better after undergoing tests in Boston.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates